Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 General Chatter Area
 VT Acclaim
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  9:26:22 PM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

Hi all...Have 'surfed' the net for about an hour to no avail...so i will ask here.

Missis drives the 98' vt. We were on a 50k trip. Readout said about 120 k's till empty. about 30k in, noticed the readout was about 20-30 till empty. Then before our eyes it just droped...20-19-18-17...by the second!.....got to 2 k's then stopped....a few minutes later it said 0 k's till empty.....another 10 k's later we pulled up at the servo a got petrol.

Now, not a massive drama or anything, just wondering if anyone has heard of this before. can it be fixed....will it get worse. very bizarre,

cheers
Report to Moderator

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  10:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

Yes. My mate had the same problem in his VT. Never rely on these things to tell you how much fuel you've got always check the gauge (although that is quite blantely obvious) Not sure what causes it to happen, sometimes (very rarely) happens in my ex's VX as well.

I'd gladly push my holden than drive a bloody ford!
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  10:53:10 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I can explain why. The trip computer relies on mileage, how much fuel is in the tank according to the gauge, plus what speed you're doing. As the gauge relies on a float for the reading, it goes like this; Towards the full mark, the square area of surface i.e. the surface of the fuel in the tank is large. The bottom of the fuel tank tapers, a compromise between capacity and ground clearance. Because of this taper, the closer it gets to empty, the faster it drains. However, there is a design rule enacted in 1974 that states that once the fuel tank reads empty, you are supposed to have at least 65km reserve from that point

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  6:34:56 PM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

Cheers...i might add though, the actual fuel gauge dropped quickly too...but like i said, it's no biggie and the wife almost never lets it run below 1/2 anyway, Except for this time.When i said "your car, you push" she slowed down a little and tried to take it easy.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  7:07:53 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Although I take it your wife was hoofing it at the time, the trip computer was likely making adjustments to its calculations relative to acceleration, and fuel remaining in the tank lol

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  7:46:32 PM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

The wife is a strange one Mechknight...The car has Cruise control, but she barely uses it. And instead of trying to find that 'Spot' with the accelarator pedal to sit on or near 100 k's she seems to gently 'feather ' the pedal...gently on, gently off....Very Frekking annoying as you can feel the car accelarating and decelarating. Considering i taught her to drive, i don't know where this came from.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  10:52:44 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Some people have annoying quirks no matter how much you try and dissuade it. You should remind her that this method uses more fuel than the cruise control.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.14 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 10048 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services