Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Oil Pressure
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

neadles
Learner

5 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  7:59:11 PM  Show Profile Send neadles a Private Message

Hi I was wandering if anybody has experienced oil pressure problems ?
I have a 1990 Vn V6 that has done 300,000km .It runs quiet and doesnt get hot .About a couple of weeks ago I noticed after it got to its running temp and when I put into drive the oil light would flash .
After trying to eliminate as many other possibilities as I could I finaly put a oil pressure gauge on it to day .The max it would go to cold was 25PSI and at idle about 10PSI so somethings not right .
I've checked the pressure reg and bypass valves and they're fine .
The only other thing I can think of is Oil pump or pick up .
So has anybody experienced anything like this ?While I've had it I've always done regular oil changes and I havent seen any metal or grit come out with the oil .I just did a oil change into a white container to see if anything was in the oil ,but it looked good .
So any ideas .
Brian
Report to Moderator

mouce
National Driver

smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  9:05:46 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message

Could be the pickup in the sump, it's not uncommon for them to get covered by some sludge and have problems picking up the oil. In fact after 300,000km, it's a good chance that it's your problem, but I can't be certain.

Does it seem to be burning any more oil than normal? Try a compression test on the engine, could be burnt out rings (hope not), but a compression test should rule that out.

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

neadles
Learner

5 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  11:30:15 PM  Show Profile Send neadles a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by mouce

Could be the pickup in the sump, it's not uncommon for them to get covered by some sludge and have problems picking up the oil. In fact after 300,000km, it's a good chance that it's your problem, but I can't be certain.

Does it seem to be burning any more oil than normal? Try a compression test on the engine, could be burnt out rings (hope not), but a compression test should rule that out.

neadles
Learner

5 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  11:36:57 PM  Show Profile Send neadles a Private Message

I've tried using a compreser to blow back down tube for pick up and seamed to be clear .Also motor doesnt use oil .The only thing I can think of is oil pump but I cant think of why.The other thing I can think of is that the oil pick up has cracked somewhere.

mouce
National Driver

smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  10:40:28 AM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message

I just went digging through my Gregory's manual and found a large list of things which could cause low oil pressure. The following sort of stood out as potential causes:

2) Thin or diluted oil (when you do an oil change, what sort of oil do you use?)
3) Blocked oil filter (when you do an oil change, do you always change the filter?)
4) Oil pump relief valve stuck or spring broken (got no idea where it is, but it might be worth investigating that one further).
6) Excessive bearing clearance (in other words, the bearings have worn away and are providing little to no back pressure for the oil)

The other option is a worn oil pump, but I don't know any easy way to check that other than stripping the oil pump.

neadles
Learner

5 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  11:01:14 AM  Show Profile Send neadles a Private Message

I've changed the oil and filter (did that first)I used a BP 20w50 ,I wouldnt think that would be to thin .
The oil pump relief valve is behind the oil filter in the adapter plate ,and I've checked that .The spring is the right length (66.3mm)and the piston doesnt stick.
I thought about worn or spun big ends but the motor is to quiet ,the only thing I can think of is worn oil pump or maybe the gasket on the timing cover is leaking .The oil pick up travels through the block into the timing cover so a leak here might cause problems .I'm going to pull the timing cover off this arvo .

mouce
National Driver

smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  3:30:10 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message

The BP oil isn't the best. On young motors my oil of choice is Magnetec, on any motor that's done more than about 150,000km, Penrite HPR15 or HPR30 (depending on how badly the rear main seal leaks). Even after 10000km it still has a nice honey colour in there, everything else I've ever tried was burned black by about 8000km.

I do the filter every time the oil gets done. Some people do it every second time, but I look at it this way: it only costs a couple of dollars, it's cheaper than having dirty oil kill the engine.

Have fun with the timing cover!

neadles
Learner

5 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  10:07:42 PM  Show Profile Send neadles a Private Message

So whats wrong with BP oils??? What a pain in the ass ,every time you menchine oil brands on these forums out comes the crap .If you engine oil is still clean after 10,000km's your engine is F*.$&ed .Penrite is Ok but only if changed regulary ,leave it any longer and you get a big varnish biuld up and noisy lifters .If your oils gone black by 8,000km's thats normal .10,000km yeah right ,Magnetic sounds like one of those reclaimed sump oils ,wouldnt use it to lube my chain saw bar .

mouce
National Driver

smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  10:11:38 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message

I'm not saying that BP oils are crap, I'm just saying that in what I've come across...they aren't the best oil to use in th Buick V6 motor.

BTW: I never said that it was still 'clean' after 10,000km...I know that that would be a bad sign, I'm just saying that it's not burned completely black like a lot of the other oils.

Anyway...'nuf of that...how'd you go with the timing cover?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.19 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 3466 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services