Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 front springs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  12:41:04 AM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

hey guys, i feel like a major user of you guys, always asking questions, ones that most people would think wtf is he on about? but you guys seem willing enough to actually spare a second instead of just laughing at me (which i actually would do to some of these questions)

Anyways i thought i would just throw that out there and thank everyone for putting up with me.

If anybody has been reading my previous topics i am always looking to do things on the cheap as with a part time job i can hardly afford a tank of petrol a week.

so now to the PROPER question. I am interested in lowering my commodore, as every other owner is, but not interested enough to pay for a set of springs if i can get away with what ive got. Now in my back yard i have 2 mid 80s bluebirds 2 early sigmas and 2 ford meteors. Now all of these cars sit the same height if not slightly higher than my VN, but of course being small cars they are also lighter than it.

If by chance the front springs from one of these cars is the same size in diameter as the commodore ones could i put these in the front. If possible will it lower the car either way too much to even think about with the extra weight or will it make it handle like a big sloppy boat?

Thanks once again for any body who takes the time to read this long post, because i know if i asked any of my mates they would probably just slap me across the face.
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  5:01:01 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Step one: drive a stock model of each car, a Bluebird, a Sigma and a Meteor. If you can get a drive of each, see how they handle. Granted, each will be lighter than a stock VN, even a V6. I can only relate what I know through my tech knowledge from Kingswoods.

The 6 cylinder and V8 Kingswoods, of any model have different springs stock. There are no other real differences in the front crossmember other than stiffer springs. The ride height is the same, the handling is similar. If you were to fit springs from one of these 4 cylinder cars, it probably will ride a little lower, assuming they fit into the struts properly. If you're willing to test it, it may work. Just try not to drive it far, just in case.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  5:54:15 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

thanks mate, the cars are all blown up now as they are bush bombs, but what im thinking about with one of the sigmas and also a bluebird TRX and these both have quite stiff suspension so i might give those a go when i have a free day

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  7:43:48 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Spring rate will be alot lower. Yes you would probably get a lower ride but you will bottom out alot more and would be a very "boat" like ride.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.14 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 31357 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services