Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 Engine Swap VP into VN
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  12:35:55 AM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

Basically my motor is dead, i picked up a cheap vp ($250) thats got a decent motor and a recently reco manual gear box (T5),, just after some advice an a small run down on how to go about the swap and any issues to watch out for.

Also is there any parts i should replace while im at it to save hassles later on down the the road.

Thanks in Advance, if any more info is needed just ask,,

5 Speed Manual Conversion in Progress YAY :)
Report to Moderator

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Is yours a series 1 or series 2??

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  6:15:56 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Most of the differences between a Series 2 and a VP are to do with the chip in the ECM. A series 1 differs in plumbing; the S1 V6 has a header tank, and the thermostat housing is in the back of the manifold. Not a huge issue.

While the engine is out, take out your battery, clean out the battery tray and repaint it while you have the chance. Same goes for things like the radiator support panel. Check the O-ring seals on your power steering rack, while you have a chance to get at it easily.(Where the hoses to and from the power steering rack bolt in) Remember that there are two kinds of O-ring you can get for these seals. A standard version and a high temperature version The standard version is only $2 a piece at a Holden dealer. Buy one, then go to somewhere that deals in hydraulic parts, to get the high temperature version.

Another one, (I know this is just being picky) but with no engine in the way, it's easy to clean, repaint, or otherwise freshen up the engine bay. Even if you just clean off the grime, it'll look better, and highlight anything that might need work.

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  10:09:26 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

mine is series 2, was hoping its a matter of engine out, engine in, using my original loom etc,, but yea didn think about doing the power steering etc,,

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  11:16:20 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I know the differences are minor, but have no doubt VNSLE will walk you through the specific differences

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  11:31:31 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

no worries,, almost got a ecotec to put in it but the motor looked a lil rough,, still tempted but with a different ecotec,, does the t5 bolt up to an ecotec?

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  11:43:52 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

They do, but there's a lot of "conversion" hassles with fitting an Ecotec to a VN; it's not like the old 202 6 cylinders, where you can just drop a blue motor in. The problems are all to do with the wiring harness, and the ECM. Also, Ecotecs have alloy heads, and aren't as strong as the VN/VP iron heads as a result. More power, but more susceptible to damage from overheating

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  7:13:33 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

ok went an looked at the donor car today for my vn, it is a VP RSV3800I, it has a few extra features like elec mirrors, lsd, body strip, RSV decal, nothing to fancy, similar to the S, so yea, picking it up sometime next week, then gonna start ripping it apart an to get the motor an gear box out for the VN,, should be fun, never done an engine swap before..

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  10:50:37 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The operative word is "patience." If you come up against a problem and it's getting you angry, step back. If you can't remember how something goes together, get a roll of masking tape and label everything and/or take photos before you start.

Also a good idea, if you're doing the engine swap on the dirt outside, go to a windscreen place, or a whitegoods place for a really big sheet of cardboard. It helps you find nuts and bolts you drop, separates dirt and parts, and when you're finished, throw it away or use it to light your next barbie.

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  11:18:23 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

thanks for the cardboard box idea i was gonna use a tarp on the concrete but the box would stop the bolts from bouncing, Iv tried to not set myself a time line but im aiming for 2 weeks, mainly cos at the moment im working long hours an will only be able to do a couple hours each night, and i also got some tags that are similar to cable tires an im gonna write on each one what it is then connect it to the hose or plug so i know what it is,, I have my trusty ol gregorys manual witch should come in handy.

Il keep everyone posted on here with how i going and if i have any troubles someone is bound to know,, its gonna be a big task on my own,, the only time il have help is when it comes to lifting the motor out an putting new one in..

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  12:39:56 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

got any pics of the donor VP?? Specifically the decals or build plates??
Cheers

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  01:07:16 AM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

I haven picked up the car yet,, getting it either tuesday or wednesday,, will put up pics then. why you ask?

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  10:25:29 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I think he's angling for details about the car so as to identify it properly, and possibly even give you more information about it. As well as personal curiosity

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  11:06:25 AM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

All good i will post up pics when the car is here, i tried to search for details about it an i cant find anything...

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  1:32:25 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

You will know soon enough. The compliance plate has a series of production codes on it, that relate to what it rolled out of the factory with. Sometimes this is even more telling than what you see bolted in, as to how much someone has modified it

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  2:47:45 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

Im so keen to get this started wish i had the other car here,, grr,, if only i wasn't a lil short on money, oh well pay goes in tuesday,

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  8:06:10 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

Car stands or ramps,, which would be better?

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  10:36:34 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I would say stands for two reasons; 1. you know the car will not move, especially with bricks behind the rear wheels. 2. Axle stands take up less room under the car, giving you easier access to things.

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  10:41:13 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

to easy car stands it is, i just wasn sure witch would be better..

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  5:01:20 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Another one that's occurred to me, depending on how high your "hoist" can lift, you could lift out the engine and gearbox in one piece. If you do, remember to "cork up" the back of the gearbox. The tailshaft forms part of the rear seal, and gear oil is a vile smelling substance that you don't want to get on you. It is near to impossible to get out of clothing, and the smell tends to linger. You can either disconnect the end of the old tailshaft, or just seal it with some packing tape, black plastic and a bit of rag.

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  8:50:55 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

oh yea,, i was hoping to lift the motor an box in one go,, iv seen at supercheap for like 15 bucks a gear box plug that you just push in to hold the fluid in an stop leaks,, maybe i should get one of them..

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  10:50:58 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Would be the cheap way to go. Just remember to check that it will fit before you get too far into the process of pulling it out of the car

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  7:47:22 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

Ok guys finally some pics of the vp donor car, just a few random ones, sorry bout the poor light, it was late an there is a storm here atm, will get other ones but these should be ok for now,,

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  8:49:54 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Could not find a great deal of info about the RSV only a reference to a VS RSV which they thought to be a dealer package. Would be interesting to find some more info about it. Looks like it has series 1 SS seats in it as well.

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  9:03:56 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

only the driver seat is ss, has no passenger and the rear is standard. I also couldn find any info on it either,,

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  6:30:10 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

Picked up 4 car stands, 2 engine mounts, 1 gear box mount and a drive belt today,, all thats really left is the fluids,,

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  6:34:46 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Pay attention to the specs on the gear oil. Would be a good time to change the gear oil on both engine and diff "to start afresh" as far as servicing goes on the entire driveline. 5 speeds often use a much finer spec oil than say an Aussie 4 speed that you'd find in a VH. The better the quality of oil, the longer it will be before you need to change it.

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  6:37:35 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

What sort of oil would you recommend i put in my gear box, as i plan on doing a full service, i dont want to spend big dollars but want to put decent stuff in

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  7:43:19 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Often 5 speeds use automatic transmission fluid in them, but ask at a BP or Shell service station. They are supposed to have a guide book as to which oil is used on what, on nearly every car on the road.

I can remember back when VNs were new, I worked in a roadhouse, and my boss serviced the local cop car. It was a VN 308, which ran an auto at the time. A bulletin was sent to WA police fleet maintenance, because they had gearboxes packing it in at 20,000km. Holden had queried them as to what kind of oil they were using "90 grade (thickness rating)" someone had replied. Holden techs told them to dump the gearbox oil on anything they serviced, and replace it with automatic transmission fluid. It seemed to work well with manual 5 speeds on passenger cars, but check with a BP or Shell servo, and see what their book recommends. They may have a better recommendation. Write down the specs, and take it to somewhere like Autobarn or Super Cheap Auto.

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  8:25:36 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

i was just asking a few other ppl, an they said to use Valvoline 70-80 gearbox oil. but will check the book.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  12:16:29 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The irony is, that's only a little bit heavier oil that what you'd use in a diesel engine; the standard engine oil on most engines is 20w50. 20 being its cold rating, and 50 being operating temperature
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.38 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 21 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services