Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Tyre Pressures
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

redvn
P Plater

symbols-exclamation

27 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  12:04:18 AM  Show Profile Send redvn a Private Message

Now I know some people might laugh at this but i think that their might be a few people out there who might be new to the VN and car experiance alltogether.
So I thought I'd do a wright up on tyre pressures.

What Are My Tyre Pressures?

A lot people wouldn't even know what tyre pressures are! let alone know how to check em' but thats not us VN enthusiasts .

Tyre pressures should be checked when your tyres are cold (or close to it) otherwise it will give an incorrect reading (to high). If you open your glovebox you will see a sticker stuck to the inside of the lid (this is your tyre placard).
Here it will list what Holden Reccomend you set your tyre pressures to according to how much weight you have in your VN. Now these are only reccomendations which are more designed for comfort than spirited driving.
Those of us who are more interested in spirited driving (basically all of us) should set our tyre pressures to about 2-4 psi higher than Holden says we should.

The Nitty Gritty

Ok now that we know what where going to set our tyre pressures to undo the valve cap,stick the tyre pressure gauge in there and there hey presto .

Cheers
Chris

Edited by - redvn on 16 Jun 2007 12:10:01 AM
Report to Moderator

baalamb20
Fully Licenced

smiley-biggrin

115 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  12:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see baalamb20's MSN Messenger address Send baalamb20 a Private Message

I normally have my tyres around the 38 to 40 psi, beaurepairs said it was fine, it's saved me petrol but it's a bit rough which is ok cause i have sports suspension.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

trizo
Forum Moderator

desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  12:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message

y would u want to set your tyres 2-4 psi higher????
what holden say is with the stok vn that runs 205's!!!! keep the trye pressure at 34-35 psi!!!! Now if ya running say 17" rims with no tyre wall your tyre pressure is gonna be different!!! Yes or no?? I say yes!I ts all maths my friend add it up!!! The 35 psi also appies to the
205 and 215 and 225 tyres!

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  03:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

15inch tyres should be at 38. its when you go low profile that you put 45 in.

Cheers,
Nodg.

trizo
Forum Moderator

desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  04:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message

nope 35 psi! 15 inch that is!

Edited by - trizo on 16 Jun 2007 04:41:10 AM

baalamb20
Fully Licenced

smiley-biggrin

115 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see baalamb20's MSN Messenger address Send baalamb20 a Private Message

well i guess tyres have changed a bit since 1990, i guess they can handle more pressure, i used to have my tyres at 34psi but since it's been higher like 38 or 40 my fuel economy is better, it is rough tho it's definately not for comfort if you want comfort then 28-34psi you want better fuel economy make it higher, i've had my tyres pumped to 38 for over a year, i don't have front tyre wear (like before) and haven't had to have a wheel alignment every 3 months (like before).

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

in every case, if you pump more air into your tyre it will perform better, it will wear unevenly in the middle of the tyre though.but as trizo said 34 is standard. im sure everyones heard of putting like 60psi in their tyres to do burnouts!

Cheers,
Nodg.

MILD50
Fully Licenced

armedforces-tankdriver

850 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  2:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MILD50's Homepage Send MILD50 a Private Message

I run 34- 35 psi in my tires... Potenza GIIIs 225/50 R16.

Heard of them being soaked in diesel for burnouts too nodg ;)

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  4:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

everyone knows hard compound tyre are more expensive and better performing, if you got the time throw a set of doft compound tyres in the weather and leave em for a year, when you go to use them theyll be rock solid!

Cheers,
Nodg.

redvn
P Plater

symbols-exclamation

27 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  5:08:18 PM  Show Profile Send redvn a Private Message

my bad when i wrote that up i was talking about stock rims. not low profile aftermarkets which are a different story. but yeah the more pressure you put into a tyre the better it will perform to an extent as nodq said. To high tyre pressures will wear the middle of the tyre, to low pressures will wear the outer edges. The reason I put 2-4psi extra in my vn commodore exec (stock rims) is that i beleive holden's reccomendations are more designed for a comfortable ride than fuel economy and performance.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  8:23:32 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Hard compound tyres more expensive and better performing?!?!??! I think you may have your wires crossed there nodg unless you mean by better performing they wear better....... . The softer the tyre the better it is going to grip the road thus giving better performance. Would you agree with me??

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

Edited by - VNSVLE on 16 Jun 2007 8:26:40 PM

trizo
Forum Moderator

desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message

as far a fuel econemy goes holden has givin those trye pressure specs 4 the maximum amout of fuel saving at 34-35 psi... believe it or not trye pressure has quite a bit to do with how u use ya fuel!!! And sorry nodq I haf to agree with vnsvle on this 1 !

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  12:20:15 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Only half trizo?? What have i said that you dont agree with??

trizo
Forum Moderator

desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  1:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message

re- read I never said that, I said I agree!

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

sorry just thought you had bad spelling

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  2:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

in my experience hard compounds are dangerous in the wet but in the dry when heated up perform much better on takeoff and cornering. depends on the grade of tyre as well mine are bridgestone

Cheers,
Nodg.

vn_maniac_16
Fully Licenced

music-metalhead

139 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  3:01:34 PM  Show Profile Send vn_maniac_16 a Private Message

i just pumped up mi tyres today! mi dad said to do 36psi, the front right one was already 37psi so i put them all at 38psi. The back right tyre was 32psi so the right side was fine!!

But the two left tyres were terrible! the front left was 27psi. and the back left was a ridiculous 15psi!!!!!!!!

no wonder mi fuel ec is down along with my steering etc.!!!

any problems with going from 15psi to 38psi at all? not put the tyre under too much stress?

cheers fellas! ;-)

---------------------------------------------------

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  3:35:35 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Should not be a problem at all.

redvn
P Plater

symbols-exclamation

27 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  10:18:01 PM  Show Profile Send redvn a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by vn_maniac_16

i just pumped up mi tyres today! mi dad said to do 36psi, the front right one was already 37psi so i put them all at 38psi. The back right tyre was 32psi so the right side was fine!!

But the two left tyres were terrible! the front left was 27psi. and the back left was a ridiculous 15psi!!!!!!!!

no wonder mi fuel ec is down along with my steering etc.!!!

any problems with going from 15psi to 38psi at all? not put the tyre under too much stress?

cheers fellas! ;-)

shouldn't be a problem, are you sure you don't have a puncture?

vn_maniac_16
Fully Licenced

music-metalhead

139 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  11:16:51 PM  Show Profile Send vn_maniac_16 a Private Message

i hope not! i'll check tomorrow! but also i hadnt pumped up mi tyres in over 6months and that one tyre is my main spinning tyre! so meh?

---------------------------------------------------

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 19 Jun 2007 :  08:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

that type of preasure is ok if your not heating up the tyres a sh*t load and not hitting big bumps otherwise youll blow the thing. but a standard rule is to pump more air in to increase tyre performance but the more you put in the quicker the tyre will wear unevenly.

Cheers,
Nodg.

trizo
Forum Moderator

desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 19 Jun 2007 :  08:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message

wat do u mean a standard rule????? Those rules are bit bakwards!!! Higher tyre pressure means trouble!!

thunderstruck
P Plater

16 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Jun 2007 :  11:54:03 PM  Show Profile Send thunderstruck a Private Message

i've found different tyres run better at different pressures
to explane this i'll stick to the 205's as a size.
the older styles like the goodyear allrounder tend to wear best at around the 34psi mark where as if you run 34pound in a dunlop they will look like footballs after 15000k.
car manufactures set pressures to maximise comfort as thats what sells cars a good rule of thumb is to read the maximum pressure on the sidewall and subtract 10%
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.25 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 4725 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services