Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Engine Cooling System Problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Siggels
Learner

simp017

5 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  8:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Siggels's Homepage Send Siggels a Private Message  Reply with Quote

G'day Chaps,

I've got an engine cooling system problem. What's happening is this:

I didn't notice that the radiator fan was only kicking in for just a few seconds and then would cut out again. Had slight engine overheating, but with no appreciable engine damage.

But while all of this has been going on, the coolant radiator level would drop. Being a cross-flow radiator, I think maybe I have over-filled it repeatedly. The level was, I think, just above the top cross-flow tube. And this VN being a 1990 V6 Series II, the tank on the drivers side is not removable. So I have no idea what level it is as the discolouration of the tank is a dirty brown colour.

So I would top up the radiator and check the tank on the passengers side, which is always good.

When topping up the radiator, I would notice the level go down after the raditator is topped up. So I would top it up again. I would do this maybe three times until the receding water level slowed down.

So I think I have consistently over-filled the cooling system with water. I'm not using coolant until I get this sorted.

I have to top up the radiator every couple of days.

Now I'm noticing the both tanks on both sides of the engine seem to be leaking. Definitely the passenger side tank is over-flowing from the filler cap. On the drivers side I see drops over water on the chassis frame running to the rear of the car. Could be a possible leak from the tank, but haven't spotted where it is coming from.

Any thoughts.

Cheers, Siggels.

We Shall Never Surrender - Winston Churchill

Edited by - Siggels on 04 Apr 2013 8:17:41 PM
Report to Moderator

m1kes
P Plater

music-dj

19 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  8:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit m1kes's Homepage Send m1kes a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The VNs always hav a cooling issue ive found. drain radiator fully then refill. first refil without engine on then turn on vehicle whilst topping it up as the water pump moves the water through the block. when level no longer goes down idle for five minutes so engine can get to running temp. replace radiator cap idle for another five or so minutes monitor the temp gauge. it should go hot then if your thermostat is working it will open allowing the engine to cool. check your hoses where they join up to the components in the engine bay check for leaks.u may hav tried these but garenteed the thermostat is shot. a replacment is availble at any spare parts outlet. the fan should be running all the time the engine is u may hav an elecrical fault smewhere there also. replace wires from relay to engine fan. you can also try flushing the system there maybe a blockage. happy motoring

Check twice,cut once.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Apr 2013 :  9:19:43 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Have never seen one with 2 tanks buddy. Post up some pics of the engine bay if you could buddy would be interesting to see.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Apr 2013 :  7:02:50 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Did you open the bleed valve while filling it? this is one of those things that you may miss if you're unfamiliar with VNs. The Series I doesn't have one, but the Series II has a small bleed valve, like what you'd see on a brake caliper. If that isn't opened, there will be an air bubble in the top of the cooling system. Also, if your fan sensor (the single pin connector at the back of the intake manifold) is buggered, it's one explanation as to why the fan isn't working properly, besides any suspect wiring

Siggels
Learner

simp017

5 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  7:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Siggels's Homepage Send Siggels a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I was really confused and bewildered with my VN cooling system as per above post.

It's all sorted now.

Here's the story: It's a Series 1 engine as the thermostat is located at the rear of the engine. This car (1990 VN) has a surge tank on the drivers' side and a recovery tank on the passengers' side. The cap on the surge tank IS REMOVABLE. This cap has a hose nipple for communication with the recovery tank. The cap has primary and secondary seals. The primary seal is part of the cooling system (a flat rubber gasket). The secondary seal is part of the communication system to the recovery tank (an O-ring fitted to the neck of the surge tank outlet that the cap screws onto). The cap has a pressure relief valve situated within the top of the cap which releases excess coolant to the recovery tank communication system. BTW, the radiator cap is really just a bung, that serves no function within the cooling system, hence the high pressure of the radiator cap.

The surge tank was old and leaking at the seam. I think air was getting into the system as a result, which caused the recovery tank to overspill. Also, the water tap for the heater/demister was just plain rotten. Both were replaced. The primary and secondary seals were hard and were replaced. (I have an '89 VN that is used for spare parts. I swapped over the primary seal to the '90 VN cap, and bought an O-ring for $2.50 (minimum charge). The water tap and the surge tank on the '89 VN were only a couple of years old.)

I drained the cooling system and replace the bottom hose with a better one from the '89 VN, and filled the system, dribbling the new coolant into the radiator. When the coolant was visible, I started the engine and idled, topping up the coolant as needed. When the coolant was hot I reved the engine at the throttle body to check the movement of the coolant. After this I switched off the engine, topped up the radiator and placed the cap on. I then topped up the recovery tank to about midway between Minimum and Maximum.

The next few mornings before starting the engine I topped up the recovery tank again. End of story.

Just one question, I used Penrite SIN coolant. Is this alright?

I'm in Brisbane, so there little chance of freezing conditions here. But I am planning to go on trips out west, so I need a coolant that will not freeze up.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the confusion.

PS. I'll take a snap of the engine soon and I'll also replace that sender unit at the back of the inlet manifold. Cheers.

We Shall Never Surrender - Winston Churchill

Edited by - Siggels on 06 May 2013 8:04:20 PM

Cartrite
P Plater

car-ferrari

73 Posts

Male

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  2:29:23 PM  Show Profile Send Cartrite a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I've seen that set up,2 tanks,on the last of the series 1 engines.A lot of mechanics threw the surge tank in the bin and fitted a radiator with a cap with the overflow going to the other(passenger side) tank.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.12 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 2963 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services