Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 shift solenoid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  03:23:03 AM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

has anyone had any problems with shift solenoid's ?
i just finished putting a B&M shifter in a tonight when i went to go for a drive my engine light came on and its saying my 1-2 and 3-4 shift solenoid's are at fault,
lucky for me i got russells automatic to put a stage 2 shift kit in about 3 months ago and it came with a 6 month warranty so im taking it back to them on monday to get fixed for free,
just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with these befor
Report to Moderator

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah ha this is in the new car with a 4l60e I was about to say what solenoids ?? :D
Unfortunately have not experienced this issue sorry.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  3:44:44 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

i see now so that's the difference between the 4l60-vn auto and the 4l60e-vr auto, after doing a bit of reading last night i found out that its a common problem with these gearbox's sounds like its a cheap fix just a bit of a pain as its in the valve body of the transmission witch means new pan gasket and fluid plus the shift solenoids themselves, kind of gets me thinking if its a recurring problem i might pick up a cheap vn auto box and rebuild it then swap the two only problem would be that the ecu's are different as the vr ecu controls the gearbox and also has a cam sensor

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  7:44:15 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Engine in the VR is still a buick and should run fine on a VN-VP ECU if you were to go that way.
If you are going down the path of fixing I would look into a service kit while you were at it, should include filter and gasket for around the $25 - $30 mark.
Do a search on ebay buddy.

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  8:09:21 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

i was thinking the same thing mate, i got the gearbox built by Russell's automatics with the stage 2 shift kit in it about 3 months ago and it came with a 6 month warranty so while there fixing it for me i will get them to put a new filter in at the same time , i will let you know how it all goes

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  6:01:33 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

well i got it back from the shop the shift solenoids were no good and needed to be replaced as well as the transmission fuse and a auto electrician had to rewire the gearbox plug to the ecu as it has shorted out all up it was $198, everything works fine now and is heaps of fun to drive

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  10:31:19 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Excellent!! Not a bad price for the work done!!

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  02:08:32 AM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

yes i was very happy with the price there a great bunch of blokes, there the type of people that will tell you everything that they need to do and how they do/did it and let you watch them as there doing it witch is hard to find these days i would recommend them to anyone,
i will give my car a clean and take some pic's for everyone to see the new shifter

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  6:07:23 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

jas89
Forum Moderator

car-wormseye

779 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  02:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see jas89's MSN Messenger address Send jas89 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The solinoids are normally 50-150 each depends where you go, so for that price im gonna have to say they were secondhand ones put in. You can get everything electrical for them (all solinoids, wireing harnes etc) for about 150 on ebay but you have to wiat on postage from america

as for useing a vn box in a vr, yes can and has been done heaps of time, you need the ecu memcal reprogramed so its not trying to shift something thats not there, tuner could do it easy. and will need the kick down cable too.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.11 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 64 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services