Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Car Audio
 Rattly doors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Antman
P Plater

car-exhaust

28 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  8:07:40 PM  Show Profile Send Antman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hey guys,
I have put a set of speakers in the doors of my VG and on bass hits or even just low frequency sounds the doors sound like they are filled with ball bearings.

I have been trying to hold things to isolate the noise but no difference, it sounds like it's from behind the trims. I had a look behind but nothing seemed to rattle.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?
It's getting pretty annoying and I haven't even got a sub

Thanks

Report to Moderator

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  8:24:02 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

when i put speakers in my doors i always check to see if the window mechanism is bolted up tight and if you have central locking the metal bars tend to rattle a lot and sometimes it can be from old inner door/window trims they make the windows rattle good time to replace with the chrome ones
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Antman
P Plater

car-exhaust

28 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  8:31:38 PM  Show Profile Send Antman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cheers for the reply VNGRPA,
When you say window mechanism do you mean the metal slide for the little plastic window guides?or the regulator? or something else?

No such luxuries as central locking in my old girl

I have just replaced the window felts and the window doesn't seem to move around. Shoulda seen it before but

What are these chrome gizmos you speak of?

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  8:41:03 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Antman

Cheers for the reply VNGRPA,
When you say window mechanism do you mean the metal slide for the little plastic window guides?or the regulator? or something else?

No such luxuries as central locking in my old girl

I have just replaced the window felts and the window doesn't seem to move around. Shoulda seen it before but

What are these chrome gizmos you speak of?

yer mate the metal parts that the window slide on sometimes there lose, and the chrome things are the felts but in this link there the outer ones

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VQ-STATESMAN-CAPRICE-DOOR-BELT-MOULDS-X-4-/400209326741?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2e55b295

Antman
P Plater

car-exhaust

28 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  8:50:20 PM  Show Profile Send Antman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks again mate,
Will check em out tomorrow, or when I have free time and it's not dark (damn I want a shed)

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  8:51:35 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

hahaha yer i want a shed too

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  9:37:38 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

hi mate did you end up fixing you rattle problem

Antman
P Plater

car-exhaust

28 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  4:07:16 PM  Show Profile Send Antman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I believe I have narrowed the possible culprits down to....everything.

Haven't spent much time on it, but I'm thinking handle linkages, a broken plastic-lock-holder-thingemy, ****ty door catches and missing/broken door trim clips.
This is before I get into my dodgy stereo install.

Thank you for your concern

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  4:28:57 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

hahaha classic well at least you have a stereo to listen too i cant here mine over my engine

Antman
P Plater

car-exhaust

28 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  6:54:17 PM  Show Profile Send Antman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You obviously need more subs, so all you can hear is bits of the car rolling down the road that have fallen off due to vibration.

Although you cant complain with your under bonnet stereo. Seeing pictures of yours is giving me bad ideas.

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  9:39:38 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

hahahaha, yer last time i had my stereo going my square kicker subs popped out my back window and cracked the front windscreen that's when i thought ooh i might take it out

MrNutter
P Plater

55 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  1:34:52 PM  Show Profile Send MrNutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Try wrapping some masking or electrical tape around the rods for the door locks where they get close to anything. Remove the stupid plastic crap off the back of the door trims if you havn't already. Feel around in the bottom of the door to make sure there are no screws, coins or other crap down there that could be rattling around. Make sure the door trims are attached properly at all points. A couple of clips missing or not pushed down properly is a sure way to get a rattle. Double check the window scissor mechanism like VNGRPA recommended. The scissor arms were a problem with mine until I tightened them up. Make sure the window seals are in good condition & that the window contacts them all the way around when it's wound up.

VN Sedan Series I.
Stock aside from steering wheel, airhorn & stereo system but is exceptionally tidy.

HELGRL
P Plater

car-burningrubber

38 Posts

Female

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  2:55:38 PM  Show Profile Send HELGRL a Private Message  Reply with Quote

one thing to do bout the rattling is put some sound deadiner in...

HELGRL

Antman
P Plater

car-exhaust

28 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  8:29:42 PM  Show Profile Send Antman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thank you very much guys for your very helpful advise.
Soon as I have a weekend free I'll jump into the green piece of poo and do some constructive maintenance.

MrNutter
P Plater

55 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  10:08:30 AM  Show Profile Send MrNutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Did you get this sorted out mate?

Sound deadener is great stuff but if it's a bad rattle it won't help. Deadener just increases the mass of a panel changing it's resonant frequency. Some people think it is for blocking out external noises but it actually does that very poorly. It only works on panels. If you do end up applying deadener then use brush on deadener on the outer door skin & dynamat (there are much cheaper options that are just as good) on the inner skin & back of the door skin itself. Make sure you fill any access holes with MDF that has been sealed with laquer before you put the dynamat on. Check the window winder itself where the handle attaches. Mine rattled like a mother until I stuffed it with wheel bearing grease.

VN Sedan Series I.
Stock aside from steering wheel, airhorn & stereo system but is exceptionally tidy.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.22 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 26 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services