Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 New Member Welcome Lobby
 VNGRPA saying hello
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  10:48:57 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message

hi all Shane here the VN Commodore is my fav car i have owned 6 did all of them up then sold them now i have a 1991 5 speed vn s pack with a sc14 supercharger on it running a 12psi pulley im allways looking to do some kind of mod to my holden

this is the story of my vn sofar it is a bit long so it up to you if you wont to read it feel free

When i brought the car is was a completely stock VN 5 speed s pack with an LSD diff it coasted $1800 with 12 months ergo and race. I drove it around for about a week with my 17inch mags on it then i decided it was time to start doing it up. The first part to go was the back bumper i replaced it with a VQ statesman s2 back bumper with a v8 lip kit, I also had the rear garnish so i pulled my one off and replaced it with the statesman rear garnish, Since my car did not come out with chrome trim i decided that i was going to get the inner and outer chrome window molding’s from a VS commodore i was able to get them for free, Once i had those parts on the car i was lucky enough to find a pair of VP Calais rear quarter windows with chrome trim around it for $50, I replaced my rear quarter windows with the new one and decided to get the chrome roof gutter molding’s to complete the chrome affect, Next step was to get the rear of the car to sit a little lower, I had a pair of pedders super low springs sitting in the shed that would fit perfetcly as i was installing the rear springs i noticed that the exhaust had a small hole in the stock muffler so it was time to rip it out and replace it with a 2-1/2inch red-back cat back exhaust system with no rear resonator for $150 but it was not lould enough for my liking
The catalytic converter was holding it back so off it came i replaced it with a straight pipe through the middle of it with it back in place i started the car and was very happy with the noise that it made, After getting the outside of the car looking nice it was tI'me to do something to the motor, First thing was to give it a full service starting from the bottom of the motor i drained the old black thick oil out and flushed it out with 5 liters of high quality $50 engine oil after replacing the $20 oil filter it was tI'me to put brand new high quality $50 engine oil back in and start on the cooling system, replacing the brown water in the radiator with new $20 coolant the car had a new water pump put on it before i paid for it so i didn't need to replace that, Next was the spark plugs and leads when i took the spark plugs out and they were black and oily witch meant that the engine was running rich and was not burning the fuel properly i spent the extra $20 and got a set of Bosch super 4 spark plugs for $120 for extra spark to help with performance to go with the spark plugs were a set of Bosch 8mill motor-sports ignition leads for $80 the car now had enough spark to start instantly also giving me better fuel economy and acceleration, Next on the list was the stock air filter and box it had to go so i pulled it out of the engine bay and thought if I'm going to do this I’ll do it the right way and put a inter-cooler in it as later down the track i would supercharge or turbo it i found the biggest inter-cooler that would fit in my front bumper and bolted it up running 3inch piping to the throttle body it looked nice sounded nice and ran perfetcly but i still wanted more power.
Supercharger time as i did not have much money at the time i decided to get a Sc 14 Toyota supercharger for $300 when i got the supercharger it had a stock 3 to 4psi pulley on it 3psi if it is inter-cooled or 4 not inter-cooled i was excited to excited welded up some custom brackets and bolted it to my engine forgetting to run a blow off valve and i blew the head gasket the number 2 cylinder had low compression at 90kpa and the rest had 150kpa tI'me to strip it down, I got myself a pair of ACL racing series head gasket nice thick strong ones for $116 each and a torque wrench with a usable range of 40-200 N-m(29.5ft-lb & 147.5ft-lb) for $80 and a inlet manifold gasket for $16, Since i had the supercharger and was putting new head gaskets on i thought i would go all out and get a 12psi supercharger pulley for $100 and replace the stock 3 to 4psi pulley to run the 12psi pulley i would have to get a 2bar map sensor for $50 and a 2bar memcal tune for $60 along with some new 42lb turbo injector’s for $150 that would be able to flow at 440cc compared to the stock 195cc injector’s to help get the fuel to them i had to get a rising rate adjustable fuel pressure regulator for $40 it was finally time to rip the top of the engine apart starting with the battery, inlet-pipe, ignition leads, spark plugs, coil-pack, power steering reservoir, alternator, coil-pack-alternator bracket, power steering bracket, next step was to undo the fuel lines and disconnect the injector’s from the engine wiring harness then disconnect the tps and isc wires from the throttle body, then the air temp sensor and inlet manifold pressure sensor.

Once i did that i could drain some of the coolant out of the engine so that i could remove the thermostat hose thermostat housing and heater hoses next part was to take the accelerator cable of the throttle body and undo 8 bolts that hold the inlet manifold on and remove the inlet manifold, half way there or so i thought when i took the inlet manifold off the coolant ports were corroded-blocked up now i knew why it had a new water pump put in by the last owner went down to my local tool shop and got a cheap $80 porting machine ported and polished the inlet manifold, next came the rocker covers pulled them off i could finally get the heads off unbolted the extractors and started to remove the 8 blots that holds the head in place once i got the heads off i had them ported, i was now broke and with no extra money i couldn't replace the pistons so it was time to clean them and put it back together first i would have to bolt the heads back on along with the inlet manifold and rocker covers, replacing the Bosch 195cc stock injetcors with the new 440cc ones were easy as they were a straight swap then adding the rising rate adjustable fuel pressure regulator my car was not going to be starving for fuel once i had connetced all the injetcors, water temp, throttle body position sensor etc it was time to get the 2bar map sensor and 2bar memcal tune hooked up replacing the stock memcal with the 2bar memcal tune meant i was able to run up to 15psi as i was only going to be running 12psi it was perfect, I wanted to try something different i was going to attempt to re-wire the motor so i could hide the coil-pack, leads and engine harness behind the motor and in the guards
This job was harder then it looked and only took 1 hour the coil-pack was now hidden behind the motor the only thing left to do was to put the alternator bracket, power steering bracket and custom supercharger bracket on and bolt it all up this time attaching the blow off valve to the outlet pipe of the supercharger and connecting the outlet pipe of the supercharger to the inter-cooler piping with everything in place i could put the extractors back on and that would be the end of my budget engine rebuild coasting
$1468 for the engine work
$1800 for the car and
$200 for the appearance
$3468 all up
That is the story of my 91 Holden Vn s-pack commodore so far hope you enjoyed my story
told ya it was long
Report to Moderator

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  10:50:23 AM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

obviously everyone her will want detailed pictures, just like me... so dont hold out on us :P

Bassist by day, VN nut by night
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  11:56:54 AM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message

hahaha you can see pic in my VNGRPA 5speed 12psi in the members cars part

spac89
P Plater

smurf03

47 Posts

Female

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  1:55:49 PM  Show Profile Send spac89 a Private Message

sounds like a nice cruiser
quote:
Originally posted by VNGRPA

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  6:42:14 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by spac89

sounds like a nice cruiser
quote:
Originally posted by VNGRPA

yer its not to bad at the moment i forgot to take pics with the mags on i will do that in the next few days its just been raining
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.16 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 7143 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services