Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Gremlins
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Dec 2010 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Today, I had something happen in my VN that's never happened before. As I put it into reverse to back into the Woolies carpark, it stalled, in the same way an out of tune carburettor engine would if you suddenly blipped the throttle. After much cranking, it fired up again. At first rough, then normally, as if nothing had happened. At first I thought it might have been something in the fuel filter, but so far, touch wood, it's running fine. Anyone got a clue as to what it might be?

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 29 Dec 2010 2:11:58 PM
Report to Moderator

Mr Persistant
P Plater

Aladdin

72 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Dec 2010 :  08:13:18 AM  Show Profile Send Mr Persistant a Private Message

Did you have full steering lock on at the time of the stall? You said you were parking.

That will happen to me once in a blue moon. And I deliberately don't hold the steering wheel hard on full lock, partly for that reason - I still use 100% of turning lock available, just don't make the power steer pump work continuously.

I can't recall if there is a specific sensor to boost idle speed for power steering load on the VN (like there is for same era Falcon), but the idle speed motor should handle it in any case.

Mine will 99.9% start instantly, perfectly, but if I stuff up and don't hold the key on long enough and it doesn't start first pop, the ECU seems all upset and it does take a lot more cranking to subsequently start...which I hate because everyone looks at you like your car is broken when it's just momentarily confused.

I doubt what gear you were in (reverse) is relevant. I could be wrong, but afaic only reverse lights and starter circuit are electrically connected to anything outside the g/box.

Hopefully, it is not the first warning sign of a CAS going bad. It is summer after all - very hot at times. And many (mine) seem to first start stalling and carrying on at idle speeds when stopping at intersections and the like.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Dec 2010 :  08:58:50 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

At the time, I wasn't on full lock, which is why it's even more of a mystery. I may have shifted a little quickly from forward to reverse, but because of wear on the transmission, it takes a second or two for it to change direction.

My VN will occasionally, about once a month backfire when it starts. More like a cough in the intake plenum than a "shotgun blast" out the exhaust. Machines do have personality, and this one has its own quirks that make it unique. I'm joking that at the time, I was working out finances for a new radiator and the final payment on a trailer I'm buying today. Seemed to have the misguided idea that the radiator wasn't first priority lol.

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 30 Dec 2010 09:00:21 AM

Mr Persistant
P Plater

Aladdin

72 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Dec 2010 :  3:34:54 PM  Show Profile Send Mr Persistant a Private Message

Yeah, I can imagine your VN thinking "He spent all that money on that freewheeling trailer while I do all the work around here - I'll show him!"

Perhaps they do have character - yesterday I went to give mine the boot in 2nd gear getting onto the freeway and was rewarded with such severe pinging I decided to back off. Seemed like it was trying to tell me "Mate, it's too hot, and I'm too old, for that kind of sillyness today." I'll cut it a break until after I've done the headgaskets, then I will not tolerate such disobedience.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Dec 2010 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The HZ was good for giving me plenty of warning. Something like, "this part is going to die. I'm giving you 20,000km warning." The VN has at least given me a lot of advanced warning about the radiator. Could have just cracked the tanks in the middle of nowhere, but chose to do it while I'm still in town.

At the moment it's a smallish leak that requires me to fill it up every day. I'm not stupid enough to drive any long distance until I get a new one. I could fix it, but this old workhorse deserves a new one. It's in the past 12 months that I've managed to fix just about every mechanical fault on it.

Mr Persistant
P Plater

Aladdin

72 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Dec 2010 :  9:30:56 PM  Show Profile Send Mr Persistant a Private Message

I don't want to make you paranoid, but when I was scanning all the Commmodore forums for info regarding head gaskets, I read at least one comment that suggested a LOT of the infamous Commodore cracked radiator tank problem is in fact due to slow-leaking headgaskets pressurizing the cooling system.

Yes I know the radiator cap should relieve any excess pressure, but maybe it's not designed to be handle constantlly building pressure that never ends, direct from cylinders? Personally, I think the gasket problem is responsible for my last cracked radiator tank, and maybe the one before that (which I can't quite recall right now)

Edited by - Mr Persistant on 30 Dec 2010 9:33:43 PM

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Dec 2010 :  11:52:10 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Not true. A radiator cap will consistently relieve pressure from the cooling system. The source of this leak appears to be a leaking core; it's because the radiator looks so crap that I want to replace it with a new one anyway.

I've been watching the cooling system carefully on mine, and it would appear that it's been slowly corroding to this point. If this one goes, then I will have to consider the possibility that the heads really are leaking.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.17 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 3835 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services