Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 MDS blaster coils on a series 1 VN.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Nijell
P Plater

symbols-exclamation

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  8:35:18 PM  Show Profile Send Nijell a Private Message

im looking into getting some MDS blaster coils for my VN s1. the seller on ebay says you cant put them on a series 1 due to the difference in coil units. I've had a series 2 coil pack on my series 1 and it worked fine. so therefore i must beable to fit them. has any one else done this to a series 1, is it worthwhile?
Report to Moderator

mouce
National Driver

smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  8:59:58 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message

The MDS coils should bolt straight up. BUT...most people that I know who have used them have just gone back to standard S2 coils. The only time the MDS coils are worth it are when you're running MASSIVE boost or when you're running an engine that's revving past 7000rpm.

They tend to be less reliable than the factory coils, and cost more. If it's a stock engine, or even a moderately worked engine, I'd say stay with the factory coils. If you were looking at doing some balls out track work, or building a sub 10 second VN then it might be worth it. But the MSD coils are worth avoiding for the most part for the VN.

If you've got S2 coils on there now and they are working, don't change them, if you have S2 coils on there and they aren't working, go and get another set of S2 coils.

Well...that's my advice anyway.

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Nijell
P Plater

symbols-exclamation

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  06:45:54 AM  Show Profile Send Nijell a Private Message

why did your mates take them off? did they make the car use more fuel or something? will they push my car to higher speeds cause my s1 coil pack seems to run out of juice when you try to push it over 190.

VN Mad88
P Plater

armed-forces-paratrooper

32 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  10:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see VN Mad88's MSN Messenger address Send VN Mad88 a Private Message

I've heard the same. I thought that i would "up grade" the coil pack to msd when mine went, it would cost about the same. Like Mouce said and is true the msd coil pack will doo stuff all if ur not running 3psi or more. which means that even putting a bolt on supercharger kit from crs wont need the upgraded coil pack as the standard coil pack will provide more than enough spark.

The problem that you are experiancing when u try to push it past 190 is the computer not the coils as the computer starts to slow the fuel at 200

But we all know the real reasons why u want it and lets face it, it's because it looks the part and sounds good when your rattling off upgrades, if it's the look your after just paint them red it's cheaper and will have about the same "Proformance enhancing abilitys".

mouce
National Driver

smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  11:47:00 AM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message

BANG! 10 points to VN_Mad88. It is the computer limiting the speed, not the coils. Spot on there. The speed limiter can be removed, but only when you're burning a custom chip.

As for why people were taking them off, because they packed up fairly quickly. They are a bit less reliable than the standard ones, but cost a tonne more. So when they died, the standard S2 coils went back in.

The coils themselves won't make you go any faster.

BTW: while it starts to ease back on the fuel at 190, the hard cut fuel limit is at 220kph. If the speed limiter is removed, then the theoretical max speed, based on gears and redline at 5500 is about 270kph for the V6. That's something that I'd really rather not hit myself.

Also, when you're doing your testing where are you doing it? If I hear you've been doing it on public roads, I'm personally going to take your keys away from you.

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)

Nijell
P Plater

symbols-exclamation

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  2:17:14 PM  Show Profile Send Nijell a Private Message

id like to see u try

trizo
Forum Moderator

desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  2:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message

if he dont I will!!! ;)

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.17 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 3414 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services