Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Exhaust Rattle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

chooba
P Plater

misc-smileyred

57 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  12:29:34 AM  Show Profile Send chooba a Private Message

Wats goin on guys?
Ive got a stock exhaust system on my 90 VN exec from engine to tip.
The coil pack went while i was on my way to chaddy(vic) from thornbury and i was runnig on 4 cylinders for bout 30min(on the way home). When i was backing it into the driveway, my dad said that he saw something shoot out of the back of the exhaust. We found it and it looked like a bit of the sh1t that is in the cat converter.

So i put a new coil pack on a few weeks after that, my cat converter started rattling. So i took it off and all the sh1t inside was broken and in pieces(thing that shot out of my exhaust). So i replaced it with another stock one from my mate(good working cond.) and ever since i did this(replaced the cat), now it is my actual exhaust that is rattling, not the cat.
Well, not rattling, but vibrating really loudly.
It really goes nuts when it drops below 1000rmp at idol.

HELP ME!!!!! Its driving me CRAZY!!!!!

A VN quote to Remember...
'THE MIGHTY SLEDGE HAMMER SOLVES ALL VN PROBLEMS'
Anything can fit if its mashed into place...
Report to Moderator

mouce
National Driver

smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  09:31:35 AM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message

There's a chance that there is other 'junk' from the cat sitting in the pipes. I know when mine shat itself, I had to take the entire system off to shake out the little bits and pieces. Might also be worth checking the condition of the front and rear muffler, because of the way they are built for a piece of cat to get through, there's a good chance that they have been damaged as well.

BTW: it's nasty trying to drive on 4cyl isn't it?

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

lolo
Fully Licenced

simp098

503 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  8:58:03 PM  Show Profile Send lolo a Private Message

I've got a rattling too, but it aint the cat and its driving me nuts...it rattles mostly when in neutral and I rev hard. It doesnt happen when im actually revving, it makes abit of a sharp pinging sound when the revs are coming back to idle. Any ideas??? BOOOYAHHH

Marcus Rogulic R.I.P (1980-2007)
"The Good Die Young"

Palmz17
P Plater

alien-skull

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  5:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Palmz17's MSN Messenger address Send Palmz17 a Private Message

i just got a 2.5 inch system from the cat back. my old stock system used to rattle a little bit but when the car warmed up it would go away but eva since i got the system it started to rattle a bit more now. is it my headers? or the cat? i cant tell

mouce
National Driver

smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  6:35:17 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message

Big exhaust rattles are normally a sign that there's some junk floating around in the cat. If your car has backfired, there's a very good chance that the honeycomb inside the cat has blown to pieces. If that has happened, get yourself a new cat.

Either way, it shouldn't take much to take the pipes off and see which bit rattles.

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.16 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 3434 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services