Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Ghetto Airbox Mod
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

Alright i was extremely bored today and thought about making a CAI out of that bendy pipe, then i started thinking about the legalities of cutting a whole under my airbox and thought i better not seeing as NSW needs a roadworthy every year.

Anyway i thought i might just extend the factory snorkel, so all i done was cut the whole front out of the lower air box and dummied something up out of ply i had laying around.

where the really poorly photoshopped part is shows pretty much what it looks like, it goes all the way across the front and is the same length as the factory snorkel thing.

The only real reason i done this was to see if i could get any sucking noise out of it, such as what you get from a pod. well now i do so im happy and not so much noise that i sound like a cockhead but enough to satisfy me.

Just to finish off my long post is the test to see if it changed anything, before i done this if i sat there stopped and absolutely planted it the car would choke for a second and then start moving, half way through the rev range it would start peeling a "fully sick" one wheeler and then die half way through second.

with the test today there was no choking, it instantly started spinning and did all the way until i backed off when it hit third gear. I am not bragging about it, and that is probably the third skid ive done in this car, but im just surprised at the gain that 20 minutes and a scrap piece of plywood can do.

P.S no this isnt my airbox, sorry if i stole your photo, but it was the best one to come up under google search.
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  5:53:37 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The factory CAI on the Club Sport models breathes above the radiator. Your main hassles will be the following if you do your own that goes under the radiator.
-Clearance: it might be an issue, depending on where you route it, that speed humps might threaten to tear it out, especially if it's been lowered.

-Intake temperature: The cooler the air coming in, will help to increase the power. Although for the sake of practicality, I'd recommend you put in some kind of "bypass duct." Wouldn't do to drive through some slightly flooded roads and hoover up some mud/sand/water etc.

A friend of mine and I experimented with a backyard version on his VL; the "prototype" was two 50mm ducts with a milk carton for an intake. We took off the original intake from the airbox that sucks from behind the headlight. He had a proper intake "mouth" made up in fibreglass that was 50mm tall and went the width of the "grille" in the bumper. It made a huge difference at speed.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  6:30:14 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

sorry to mislead you as i think i may have, that pipe isnt what i have done as this is a photo which i found on google.

all i done was cut the front out of the airbox so there is more room to flow but then i extended it out to the headlight so it is not getting as much hot air as it would have sucking from right infront of the box, instead this is almost sealed around the headlight causing most of the air to come through from outside the engine bay.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  7:04:57 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Keep working on a better intake, and you can really make a difference with it

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  7:43:15 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

like i said its ghetto lol, i am happy with it getting rid of the choking issue and will do the holeflexi pipe thing like the person in the picture did when i can get some on the cheap, because ive heard the stuff is expensive for what it is

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  11:02:00 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Depends on thw where and how. If you went for "radiator hose" rubber type flexible duct, yes, very expensive. Certain kinds of ventilation/aircon type ducting can ve fairly cheap. As the airbox itself doesn't move unless you change the air filter, you could even use PVC pipe, with mounting clamps and joins if you wanted to do it very cheap

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  8:59:07 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

yeah i might just ring up the fella who does my roadworthies here in NSW and see what he thinks about cutting a hole in the guard.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  11:57:45 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Unsure about NSW rules, but generally they don't allow anything that threatens the structural integrity of the car. Where the airbox bolts in, it would probably come under the category of structural component.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.15 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 4411 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services