Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 may have problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

straddie1
Starting in the driveway

sports-surfing2

2 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  11:28:05 PM  Show Profile Send straddie1 a Private Message

hi guys, i bought a series 1 vn 1989 s. auto its only got 190,000k's on it. basically my biggest wory is that there is a knocking sound coming from near the 3800 writting/throttle body area. this only happens when in drive. is it because ts struggling to get fuel? tappets? not enough spark or what? if anyone could help much appriciated.
Report to Moderator

straddie1
Starting in the driveway

sports-surfing2

2 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  11:37:45 PM  Show Profile Send straddie1 a Private Message

sorry not so much of a knocking but more of a ticking
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mr Persistant
P Plater

Aladdin

72 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  9:13:05 PM  Show Profile Send Mr Persistant a Private Message

"Ticking" is a *hell* of a lot less serious than "knocking". Are you sure it's not just the injectors going about their usual business? Even noisy tappets would be a reasonably loud "clacking" kind of noise. Doesn't sound all that serious.

Now, if it should start making a bad sucking noise, that is the sound of your bank account slowly depleting as you pour money into Repco & Ebay spare parts for your VN. But don't worry, they all do that.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  9:36:46 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The injectors on the V6 do tick fairly loudly, but so long as the ticking noise is a steady rhythm, and it idles and accelerates ok, you should be fine

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  12:37:57 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Hydraulic lifters could be on their way out also. Hard to tell with out listening to it.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

my-VN-aint-dead-yet
P Plater

music-metalhead

20 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:18:53 AM  Show Profile Send my-VN-aint-dead-yet a Private Message

I have a series 1 89 vn also and mine makes a ticking sound as well, and i haven't had any problems so far so i dont think it's anything to worry about

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  5:07:47 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Unless you've heard both symptoms, It's sort of hard for you to tell the difference between the normal ticking sound injectors make, and the slightly lower pitched sound of worn lifters.

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  12:32:27 AM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

i've got the same model...has made that noise for the last 10 years and has not got worse. Still runs fine no problems..

mines more of a loudish Tick than a knock too, so yeah...normal

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  12:07:02 AM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

and to add....it is only noticable with when the bonnet is up and your checking whatever...cannot notice it whilst driving
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.16 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 27721 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services