Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Lifespan of a Made in Japan waterpump?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Mr Persistant
P Plater

Aladdin

72 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  7:30:39 PM  Show Profile Send Mr Persistant a Private Message

I'm so proud. I just found what I think is the highest quality original component on my entire VN sedan - the water pump - it has "Japan" cast into its alloy surface.

Seriously, I'd replace it right now for $50 if I didn't suspect the original might continue on and outlast whatever new one I could buy for it now. It's smooth, silent and free of play when checking it with the belt off. If only the rest of the car was similarly made.

Ya reckon I should I get a new one anyway and stick it in the toolbox for emergency use?
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  10:37:44 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

If it were Taiwanese made, I'd be suspicious, but there's nothing wrong with Japanese build quality these days. If the coolant is kept in good condition i.e. not pee yellow or rust brown, they can last quite a while. It's corrosion that causes alloy water pumps to fail.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

K_I_N_G_D
Starting in the driveway

symbols-anarchy

2 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  1:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit K_I_N_G_D's Homepage Send K_I_N_G_D a Private Message

is your going to buying japanease remember the metal factor you only using magnatite steel if u use australia parts its all hematite which its a higher grade steel allways buy australia even tho it might be more expensive it last longer and better performance and makes it easier and less fragile to so you have more to work with if you want to customise it :) but thats your choice

Djwatson

Mr Persistant
P Plater

Aladdin

72 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  7:33:06 PM  Show Profile Send Mr Persistant a Private Message

Hi, KingD. That's interesting about the steel differences.

The waterpump I was talking about would be MOSTLY alloy, although I admit the impeller & shaft would be steel, I think...I think there may be a steel spacer plate...and I've heard stories about V6 impellers being eaten away in very short amounts of time due to steam bubbles forming in bad coolant...so high quality steel impellers could be possibly be more important than you first think.

Oddly enough, however, I think some w/pump impellers these days are made of plastic...and probably do perfectly fine DEPENDING ON THE QUALITY OF THE PLASTIC USED...and this is what concerns me increasingly when buying Made in China stuff >> potentially the biggest differences in quality are not visible to the naked eye...like steel quality, or plastic quality (plastic used in my new heater tap)...

I'm surprised, though. I thought anything "Made in Japan" these days was of the highest quality. That's NOT including Japanese manufacturers who are actually getting their stuff made in China while pretending that it's still getting made in Japan. I think some Jap motorbikes may be in this category...

It's becoming a challenge these days to find something NOT made in China, regardless of what brand a product carries. And I'd be the first to admit that, crap or not, Chinese stuff does most of the job, most of the time. But sometimes you want more than that.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  9:14:14 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I would be HIGHLY suspicious of a water pump that had a plastic impeller. It may work fine for bumpers, cutting boards and a variety of industrial applications, but strength overall would be suspicious. Ford Australia made this fatal mistake on heater taps on the XF Falcon; a bad combination of cheap alloy and plastic, which adds up to something that packed it in way too early, especially if you don't maintain the coolant. If that impeller wasn't polypropylene composite plastic (the stuff they make chopping boards from) it's unlikely to last. I guess I'm old fashioned; If I had a choice, every part would be made of a higher tensile or better corrosion resistance than is necessary.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.14 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 4902 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services