Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 boot struts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  6:55:14 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

Gday i recently put a spoiler on my VN and was wondering if i could get struts to keep it up when needed. I have put non-stock struts on the bonnet with a bit of extra work and there going good for now. The thing with my boot is it stays up when fully open but if its slightly knocked or nudged it causes headaches... literally.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Commodore-VP-VR-VS-Sedan-Boot-Gas-Struts-/120640218096?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c16b7a3f0
Would these fit without to much modification and how do they fit aswell?
Cheers

Bassist by day, VN nut by night
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  5:34:24 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

All you'd have to do, is measure from where you want to mount the struts, and you could go anywhere that sells them. All they would want to know is the approximate weight, and how far it has to extend.

There are lots of places that sell them new or reconditioned, and so long as the "ball joints" they attach to are solid and firmly mounted, you can do what you like
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  5:37:32 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

i know that most people attach one end to the hinges but am not sure where would be a good place for the other end. And should i just get some of the ball joints from the wreckers for bonnets and drill my own holes somewhere? like near the shocks? (sorry if i said something wrong)

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  5:45:33 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Look for a solid piece of bodywork that, when the strut is attached to it won't foul either the lip where the boot rubber goes on, or any other piece of bodywork. How your spoiler is mounted would be ok for the ball joint on the "webbing rib" part. Much like how they're attached to the bonnet.

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  1:35:23 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

my dad suggested only using one strut because it mostly stays up easily and it would be safer because i wouldnt have to mess around with missing the fuel tube or anything. would this work ok do you think?

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  3:27:01 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

There are some cars that have only one for the bonnet. I think XE/XF falcons had it. You could find one of those at the wreckers pretty cheap , they were know to fail , but for the bootlid of a VN its fairly light compared to those heavy bonnets, so a good one would be ok.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  4:19:12 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Must add that AU onwards falcons have small Gas struts that attach at the hinge and mount to just below that on the inner lip.
These could be an option , its difficult to explain so if you can check out an AU/BA it a lot simpler for attaching them.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  6:19:54 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The other thing to remember, is use a strut stronger (lift capacity) than the original that came with the mounts. It will take longer to wear out, and it will be more reliable in the long run
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.16 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 4520 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services