Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 talk me through it please.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  6:13:56 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

A liberal blast of WD-40 on the Allen key bolts, and it shouldn't be too hard to change. Probably a good idea to mark those bolts, just like you mark the uni joints to make sure it goes back in the same way you took it off.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  6:28:17 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

yeah thats a good point i would have forgotten to do that even though its obvious especially when i just did the ends.

Bassist by day, VN nut by night

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  7:21:48 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

ok so today (yes another problem) my mother took it to the city and back like she does every few days and today on the drive back it devoleped a kind of whine in the rear end. not the uni joints cause there brand new so im thinking its probabily the bearings. its only on and off whining/faint knocking but enough to worry. I thought it ould be the centre joint hopefully (which does need doing, will be done this week hopefully) but it looks like something else from where the noise and vibrations are comng from. the whine comes mostly from the rear left hand side and usually gets worse when turning or accelerating. Im thinking that if this is the main drive wheel, wurning would make it work harder=more stress=obvious problem of whine. What does everyone think?

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  7:39:43 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

First thing to check is how much oil is in the diff. Check the axle bearings on the diff too. Hopefully it's just a bit short of gear oil in the diff. You undo the fill plug, and stick your finger in the hole. If the tip of your finger, or more doesn't come out oily, then it does need more oil. Fill until, it's a few millimetres from spilling out. The level is checked with the car on flat ground.

While you're under there, look for signs of leaks; you should be able to see AND smell a gear oil leak, as gear oil stinks. It has a distinct smell about it that you can't mistake for anything else

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 04 Jan 2011 7:42:33 PM

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  7:43:02 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

i ckecked it around a 2-3 months ago. it was good then but i will check again. and what are the axle bearings on the diff. like where are they? and how d i check?

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  9:10:08 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The axle bearings are what they call a tapered roller type; to get to them, take off the wheels, remove the rear disc rotors, and inside there will be a set of brake shoes. These are for the handbrake. If they get in your way (unsure, as I haven't seen inside one yet) carefully dismantle them. Remember to only do them one at a time, so that if you forget how to put it back together, you have one to reference.

With that assembly out of the way, you will see four bolts sticking up. Undo them, and carefully slide out the axle shaft. Just behind the plate held back by these bolts is the bearing itself, a round metal cage with a series of rollers in it. There should be about 1-1.5 millimetres play in a new bearing. If the rollers feel like they want to drop out, then you're probably due for a new one.
You will likely need a puller of some kind to get the old bearing off, but before you do any of that, you might get lucky and just fill it back up with oil and replace a seal.

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  09:35:27 AM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

i got the centre bearing a few days ago and was wondering how to install it. obviously drop the driveshaft and undo the 6 or so allan key bolts but where do i go from there and what type of oil/grease do i use on it? and where do i put the oil/grese aswell. cheers also havent had a chance to look at the rear bearings yet because its gonna be pissing down again for the next week aparently. so i might get lucky and get it inside some mates garage but doubt it.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  2:40:15 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

From the pictures in the manual (again, haven't had to change one of these yet) you mark the two halves of the centre bearing housing so it goes back how it was taken off. Inside it, there should be a circlip holding the two parts of the shaft together. With that lot aside, get a rag and thoroughly clean the inside of the housing. Spray it with degreaser if any residue won't budge.

The centre bearing would be greased with the same grease you used on the uni joints, usually a lithium composite type, just like you'd use on any serviceable part of the suspension. It would be reased the same way you'd grease the bearings in a front disc rotor; makes sure all of the interior of the bearing casing is packed full of grease. It should look as if there's no more room in there for anything else once the lid on the casing is closed. If the unit you bought has a grease nipple, just pump some more in every time you nservice it. When you hear a "cracking" noise, a slight amount of grease may come out, that's your indicator that that's enough grease. It won't hurt the seals, but it may make a mess if you don't wipe off the excess.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.17 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 6352 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services