Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 General Chatter Area
 no brakes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

spac89
P Plater

smurf03

47 Posts

Female

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  1:05:10 PM  Show Profile Send spac89 a Private Message

was driving along yesterday went to slow down and the brake pedal went flat to the floor, I wasnt happy managed to stop using the handbrake ,the master cylinder was leaking out underneath grrr, lucky wasnt far from home so managed to get home using the handbrake .
I was mad as as I have spent so much money on my car grrrr ohwell we made it home lucky enough ,
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  5:38:23 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

To fix it, source a master cylinder (it's ok to get one from a wrecking yard for this) unbolt the old one, and bolt the new one on. Remember that brake fluid is bad for paint (will turn it into a gooey mess if you spill it on paint)

With the replacement master cylinder on, jack up the rear end, or take off the wheels one by one, to bleed out the brakes. As you will have air in the brake lines, it will need to be bled out. Each brake caliper has a bleed valve on it; a small fitting with a nut on it, and what looks like a nozzle on it. Find some clear tube, undo the bleed valve until finger loose, leaving the spanner on it. attach the tube to the nozzle, and put the other end into a container. New brake fluid is either a dark green, or about the same colour as olive oil. How black the old stuff is tells you the last time it was changed.

With someone to pump the brake pedal, tell them to pump, until you start seeing clean fluid. Remember to keep topping up the resevoir as you go. When you see clean fluid, close the bleed valve, and ask your assistant how the pedal feels. Repeat this for all four wheels, until the brake fluid is clean on all four brake calipers.

While you have each wheel off, it would be a good time to have a look at your brake pads. If there's less than 5mm on them, it would be a good idea to change them. If they get down to metal on metal, not only with you have very little brakes, but your disc rotors will get trashed as well.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

spac89
P Plater

smurf03

47 Posts

Female

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile Send spac89 a Private Message

thanks mechanic knight for all your help ,the brake pads were all replaced less than 2000 kms ago for roadworthy , when I bought the car it had no brakes so I had a mechanic fit all new pads there was no problem then with the master cylinder maybe its because the car was sitting for 2yrs before I got it the seals may have gone hard

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  5:36:21 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Although there's a strange thing that goes on with brake fluid; it attracts moisture to it. The reason why you're supposed to change your brake fluid at regular intervals, is because it accumulates water. Brake fluid has a much higher boiling point than water, so when you use your brakes a lot, such as in city driving, a lot of water equals "brake fade" because there's now only steam in the lines. It is possible the piston in your master cylinder could have rust on it as well; you'd only really know if you took it to bits.

The more repairs and servicing you can do at home, the cheaper it will be to keep your car. You also have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what has and hasn't been done.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.17 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 21 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services