Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 General Chatter Area
 New door handle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  3:22:45 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

went to the wreckers to get a new door handle for the VN, and they want $22, that's crazy.. i was thinking 10 or 15, but i swear i seen new handles for 25 somewhere.

The amount of commodores with those door handles must be alot, and i'm sure the majority of them must be wrecked, so i dont really think that $22 second hand is a reasonable price.. sorry just had to bitch to someone
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  4:53:07 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

It is a bit. I'd go look up the Auto Trader or some newspaper classifieds. Just looked it up on Rare Spares, they make a NEW one for roughly $30. Here's the specific link:
https://rsp-secure.com/rarespares/default.asp?car_type=17N&model=VN COMMODORE

Although the above price was for an external handle. This guy should be aware of what the price is on a new one, and the rule of thumb is that unless said part is rare, they charge 1/2- 2/3 the price of a new one

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 21 Jun 2010 4:55:10 PM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  5:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

The removal and install should be on your mind more than the 22 bucks mate lol. there an absolute nightmare if you have never done one before.

Cheers,
Nodg.

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  8:54:59 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

yeah i work as a school apprenticeship thing one day a week at a panel beaters, so i figured ohh yeah just 2 ten mm nuts.. i was left dumbstruck when i couldnt see nuts.. although google helped me out with the metal clip :)

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  9:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

once you get the idea of how to weave the handle out its not a hard task. then again ive heard of people that wreck there doors getting frustrated and raming it out lol. good luck anyway, let us know how it goes:)

Cheers,
Nodg.

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  11:02:51 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

dont worry, if it wasnt for google i would of bent the door to **** by now

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  11:24:02 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

It could be worse I guess. They may be easy to replace, but on the XA-F Falcons, they break with such monotony, it's almost part of the "scheduled servicing."

SKDWGN
P Plater

80 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  12:36:24 PM  Show Profile Send SKDWGN a Private Message

when i was at the wreaker a few years back they were only 10 - 15 bucks you got ripped

wheres theres smoke theres rubber

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  9:51:56 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

yeah, its funny, i didnt end up buying the handle and got one off a mate for shouting him maccas lol.
i did go back to the wreckers today though, to find some parts for his el falcon, got a new bonnet hinge while i was there, only 15 bucks.. and thats brand new!

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  11:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

dont remind me about xf falcon door handles lol, recon the vn ones are harder though...

Cheers,
Nodg.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  11:08:42 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Harder, yes. Less prone to breaking, absolutely!

Sons1vn2nv
Starting in the driveway

2 Posts

Female

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  12:48:53 AM  Show Profile Send Sons1vn2nv a Private Message

Yer, I paid $25 for my door handle, as mine snapped off, that as from a 'recker' here in Tassie!

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  08:01:30 AM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

left rear handle busted about a month ago, i bought a complete set of 4 metal handles..($60).i have 3 weeks off over xmas so i might be pestering for some knowhow.

sounds like i might need those 3 weeks.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  4:48:46 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I would say look it up in the manual, and if you give up, bribe a panelbeater to do it for you lol. They'd be able to change on with their eyes closed, having removed and replaced so many of them.

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  09:36:19 AM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by Mechknight73

It could be worse I guess. They may be easy to replace, but on the XA-F Falcons, they break with such monotony, it's almost part of the "scheduled servicing."

Lol spot on! My dad had an XD and they did it all the time

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  6:07:37 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Allegedly, part of the way to preventing that is 1. grease, grease and more grease 2. if the door is sagging at all, adjust the "latch pin striker" on the b and c pillars and 3. tighten up any play in the latch mechanism
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.19 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 21506 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services