Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 WTF is wrong with this thing???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  2:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

Hey guys, pulled the dash cluster out of the old vn before it was wrecked, and thought seeings as my temperature gauge on the new cars cluster (old was a series II executive but was told cluster was BT1, new is series I berlina, with stock standard cluster) i thought I would swap them over, as i was also sick of smacking the crap outta it to make the speedo read correctly, but now the tacho wont work the temp gauge wont work and im not sure about the speedo, the only thing i can see working is the fuel. BUT that's not my problem as such. My indicators do not work at all now, the RHS idicator light permanetly stays on. WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE!!! if this a possible electrical fault with my car or what???

I'd gladly push my holden than drive a bloody ford!
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  2:53:00 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

If you haven't actually changed anything on your wiring between one cluster and the other, I would take them both aside, and have a close look at that flexible circuit board on the back. I have a hunch that there's some fundamental changes, one from the other, on the wiring from one board to the other. Trace each "line" individually, and see what those differences are.

Holden loves to use universal tooling, so it may be possible to switch parts between them. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that you might have dodgy instruments because a. the cricuit board has some breaks or b. something within the intruments themselves doesn't work. I would just make sure that nothing fell into the "sockets" that connect the cluster to the harness.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  8:43:18 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

All vn - vp clusters are interchangeable v6-v6 or v8-v8 so this should not be a problem. Make sure you dont have any blown fuses also make sure plugs behind the dash are secured correctly so as to make correct and complete contact.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  11:12:23 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

What I remember, from the first time I took out my cluster, was that there was a shower of this stuff that looked like shrivelled up shrinkwrap that fell off the outside of the cluster. I't possible a bit of it somehow got lodged in one of the sockets. Quite often when you have unexplained electrical problems, it comes down to a dud earth.

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  10:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

I dont think its any blown fuses but will check anyway, wasnt doing this with the other cluster was the minute i put the new one in it started doing this. the blue shrinkwrappy stuff was on the old cluster but i peeled all of it off cos it looked **** and was annoying me lol

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  10:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

I'll just add just incase it helps that they are both a tacho instrument cluster with the tacho being on the LHS of the cluster the speedo obviously in the middle and the fuel an temp on the RHS fuel being on top and temp on the bottom on the berlina one and i think its the other way around on the BT1 cluster

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  4:56:03 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The only reason why I mentioned that the wiring may be different (and will freely admit that I don't know the clusters in depth) is because of something I remembered from the HQ Kingswood. My car was a 1972, just before a host of design rules came in, the main one being the speedo had to be in kilometres an hour. VDO made the first HQ instruments, and for some unknown reason, in 1974, they switched (briefly) to a manufacturer called Flexidrive. The '73 instrument cluster I put in (fuel, oil and temp) fitted perfectly. But the fuel gauge worked in reverse. Was perfectly accurate, but empty meant full, and full meant empty. I've never got my hands on the more complex clusters, I've only seen what the back of the basic Series 1 looks like

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  5:04:50 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

You could try swapping the sockets at the back far left to far right , cause they are detatchable from the back.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  5:31:57 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Have you got pics of front and back of the clusters you could post up??

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  7:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

I have pics of the one that is believed to be the BT1 cluster? I just dont know how to post them. I think i may have shorted this one out too, have pics of what appears to be new damage

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  11:06:08 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Send it on to Howards, and ask them as many questions as you can. Between their knowledge and your info, you should be able to get some kind of solution.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  09:30:55 AM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Hi Hsv babe , Did you try what i said and short the dash out. I'm really sorry if that's what happened , I was thinking that the dash would be powered differently with the taco and fuel/temp gauges on the other side to the usual vn style. it's too easy for me to give the wrong advice on line , even though my intentions were genuine and i was hoping that would fix the problem. I am sorry if i caused more problems. Cheers

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  8:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

No no no it wasn't that that had done it dont stress it happened before you suggested that lol i dont no what happened but its really weird lol

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  8:37:54 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

I'm glad that it's ok , still haven't got a clue on this problem.

Must be a real , welcome to Holden moment lol , These cars keep your mind tickin over to the end.

still a heap of moments like these exist unfortunatly. I think as Mechknight73 recommended this needs someone in the trade to look at it for a definate solution.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  8:47:10 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

You will need a photobucket account to be able to post photo's in forum.

Edited by - VNSVLE on 06 Jun 2010 8:48:18 PM

dirk diggler
P Plater

armedforces-f16

32 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  9:35:26 PM  Show Profile Send dirk diggler a Private Message

is a vn calais instrument panel with the 3 digital windows fit into a vn exec

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  10:24:02 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

It will fit and the guages will work providing it is v6 - v6 or v8 - v8 but to get the trip computer working you need to get the "4th plug" (the plug that plugs into the bottom of the cluster) and wire it into your existing harness. Alternatively you can replace the harness with a calais one and you will also need the switch blocks to control it

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.27 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 25 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services