Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 General Chatter Area
 A sad day
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  11:34:27 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Today, I said goodbye to the most loyal car I've ever owned, my HZ Kingswood. All I have left is the dash, the airconditioning system, various nuts and bolts, and the tail lights. The only real identifying parts I have left are the three compliance plates. I know they're only machines, but it's hard to let go of something that's stuck with you for 10 years. I can only take solace in the fact that the remaining parts on it will help others of its kind live again.
Report to Moderator

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  2:04:26 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Holden's of that era were the toughest cars made in Aus. I'd like to see the stinking mess of a Prius or Insight in 30-40 years from now. Make's me appreciate the VN's even more. I let my old 1 Tonner go , and i know it was the right time as i could not give the car what it deserved. Not many cars Ive owned are even possessed by some type of soul. But the one's that are you really care about are hard to forget. With the sale of 1 come's the opportunity for your One Tonner to get finished. Which sounds like a one off and really interesting.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  3:29:29 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

If only I could afford to get started. At the moment, what parts I have will be crated up in preparation for wherever the 1 tonner project will take place. What surprised the hell out of me, as this old workhorse didn't even fight me in the disassembly. Plenty of opportunities to do so, but didn't really argue with me at all. It felt traitorous to roll down to the tilt tray, knowing this would be the last time I would see it in one piece.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  3:41:43 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

sounds good that it's not rusted together and a breeze to pull apart. Must know that when done , it will be new again.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  4:05:28 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Some of the screws were rusted, but strangely didn't seem to argue either.

The most unusual show of loyalty for this one was when I had the crossmember straightened. Over time, all HQ-WB crossmembers sag, and when they do, they lose all adjustment in the wheel alignment. As a consequence, the steer like a truck. When I had mine done, I didn't know that the drag link was almost seized. It chose the perfect moment to seize altogether; just as it was driven onto the hoist for the wheel alignment. A new one was fitted, the crossmember was re-welded, and suddenly it steered as lightly as a Corolla. It could have chosen any time to seize that and potentially strand me, but chose the exact moment of when I could 1. get help and 2. be able to afford it without sending me broke

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 06 Jan 2011 4:07:34 PM

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  8:23:19 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

HQ-WB Tonners do handle well even with a 120.5 inch wheelbase. Mine was dead straight and cornered well with little body roll. The Manual was slick and the Red motor was strong up hills, The Sals (4.11 gears helped). I sold mine cause not enough room in there for my (underbelly located below the other two), and rust is there worst enemy. Would get a Belmont or Kingswood Sedan if money was no object , put a 400 and Jap 5 speed in there with 3.36 gears , and leave it stock (Hubcaps)(Rusty) on the outside for stealth and hit then run. Yours is meant to be ! as it's not causing reckless drama's.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  8:32:58 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

For true stealth and efficiency, I'd fit a worked V6 (possibly a COME Racing 4L stroker) to the one tonner, with a Borg-Warner T5 (Can't stay away from the GM theme) running a specially modified 3:08 LSD Salisbury with discs. They have the advantage of not causing understeer, and people will be scratching their heads trying to figure out what the @#&* is in the engine bay. Although if money were no object, I'd run an LS2 (only weighs as much as a V6 anyway) and a tandem drive rear axle with a 5th wheeler arrangement. Would definitely complete the "mini prime mover" look I want

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  8:49:31 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Carb for me on a low rise manifold with a quite twin system. The V6 idea is a good one also plenty of power to be had with a turbo 3.8

Plenty would take the bait pulling up next to that.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  9:55:59 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I wouldn't even be doing it to be competitive, just knowing the horsepower is there would make it all worthwhile lol.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  10:33:53 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Need new tracks to use it. Dandenong area in Melb would be the best place for the biggest crowds and most entries.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.26 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 27 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services