Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 New Member Welcome Lobby
 VN equals Very Nice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

rod185651
Learner

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Jun 2010 :  7:03:26 PM  Show Profile Send rod185651 a Private Message

G'day Guys and Gals, I just bought my VN from my girlfriend last weekend as she was sick of it breaking down, I felt sorry for the old thing and thought with a bit of nurturing and a lot of maintenance I might be able to raise it to a car to be proud of. I've always liked the commodores but as a motorcyclist I haven't actually owned a car for over ten years, but with the cold snap we are having down here in Sydney I'm already glad I bought her. I look forward to chatting to you all regularly and hope I can contribute as much as I learn from you Guys. Cheers
Report to Moderator

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Jun 2010 :  8:33:07 PM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

Hey rod...you'll love it here..very helpfull and lots of knowledge getting about. And your right about TLC....look after the ol' girl . My vn has almost clocked 360K, and still going well
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Jun 2010 :  11:38:26 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

You'll probably have to check the oil, plugs, filters and ignition module first. Can guarantee this poor machine is only breaking down because of "criminal" neglect. They respond well, and are mostly easy to work on

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  08:18:27 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

G'day buddy and welcome to the family!! What sort of bike do you ride mate??

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

rod185651
Learner

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  7:21:50 PM  Show Profile Send rod185651 a Private Message

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, yep an oil change is happening this week end for sure, I've got two bikes a Suzuki GSXR 600 and a Kawasaki ZX9R Street fighter.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  9:20:04 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Nice!! I got a Blue and Gold 2008 Hayabusa. You will have to post some pics of all of the above (cars and bikes) ;D

rod185651
Learner

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  6:55:12 PM  Show Profile Send rod185651 a Private Message

Sorry I haven't been around, I have been pretty busy, will it affect my welcome if my new car is a VP not a VN?

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  01:04:51 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Not at all, VP is close enough. Anything that bolts onto a VN will bolt onto a VP, just one had improved a few things

rod185651
Learner

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  10:14:07 PM  Show Profile Send rod185651 a Private Message

Cool, when I changed the oil I couldn't believe how bad the old oil was. Invested in a new windscreen and now I'm thinking of changing the transmission oil (Automatic) Is it pretty straight forward to do? or should I get a mechanic to do it? I should be able to put it up on some ramps.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  11:54:04 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

There are two options: 1. undo the sump pan and carefully lower it into a drain pan. 2. undo the cooling lines into the radiator, place a drain pan under them both. With the transmission in park, let the gearbox pump itself dry. Am unsure of the correct proceedure on that one, but I'm sure one of the guys will have a more detailed plan. The manual says "sump pan off." Remember not to tighten the sump pan bolts down too hard, or you will damage the gasket.

Automatic transmission fluid is a cherry red colour when new, and like engine oil, the darker the colour, the more urgent the need to change it. Remember to do it when cold so as not to singe yourself with either hot metal or hot oil. The trick is to tension the sump pan they way you'd tension a cylinder head; a little tension on each nut in a pattern, until all are at the correct tension. Once the pan is sealed, you fill the transmission up from the filler tube, until it reaches the full mark on the dipstick. Pretty sure it's 4 or more litres, check when you've put 4 litres in; you check the oil on an auto with the engine running, in park.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  10:15:52 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Dropping the pan is the only way to drain oil unless previous owner has had the pan upgraded with a sump plug then of course you just have to remove the plug.
Can get messy!!
Good luck let us know how you go
Cheers
Wayne

rod185651
Learner

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  1:09:02 PM  Show Profile Send rod185651 a Private Message

Thanks Guys, I will change the tramsmission oil in the next week then.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  2:02:10 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Another "Cheat note" in changing the transmission oil: if your drain pan is big enough to take in the width of the pan, raise the front of the car and slowly undo the bolts. don't take them off completely, just undo them enough to separate the sump pan from the gasket. The weight of the oil will hopefully split it, and drain about half the oil in the process. This will make it much easier to lower the now half full sump pan to the ground without making a huge mess.

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 23 Jul 2010 2:05:27 PM

rod185651
Learner

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  9:55:02 PM  Show Profile Send rod185651 a Private Message

Thanks mate! I didn't even think of the weight, all my time of working on bikes.... weight isn't usually an issue.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  7:17:03 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Remembering dropping one, I know not to repeat that mistake lol. In theory, you could fit a drain plug to an auto gearbox, by using the sump plug from an old engine sump. Cut around the sump hole, cut a sump pan to fit that piece of metal, and you have one drain plug. So long as the weld is continuous, and the sump plug doesn't foul the valve body, or any internal components, it should work just fine. All you have to remember is that the sump plug has to be the absolute lowest point on the pan.

Of course, I'm assuming that both the sump piece and the transmission pan are made of the same metal.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.19 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 585 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services