Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Car Audio
 Subwoofer...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Removed as requested
Removed as requested

0 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  01:44:36 AM  Show Profile Send Removed as requested a Private Message

I am going to buy a sub and amp in the next 2 weeks.
I am having trouble picking them.
Can anyone suggest good ones or even the really bad ones to avoid?

Also, when you install them in the boot, do you face the sub into the back seat or towards the tail lights for the best sound? I have heard different opinions on this...

Oh and its not sub related but too lazy to post another thread

CD Player
I have a stock one atm and want to upgrade as well (probably best to buy all at the same time) Any suggestions?

Report to Moderator

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  01:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

ive had very bad experiences with sony's x-plod range, there cheap crap that will break or wear in a years time. I currently have pioneer speakers and a pioneer headunit (2007 models) and cant say anything bad about them. Ive prevously had alpine and sansui headunits & speakers, cant say anything bad about the either, actually there great.

If you want my overall opinion go for the alpine subwoofers (v12 series) alpine headunit (even the basic unit) and pioneer speakers which seem to put out more oomph and go louder for some unknown reason, both alpine & pioneer speakers shared the same price tag..

Also dont be fooled by '1000watt' or high amplifiers such as boss audio, they ae crap, your looking for RMS wattage not total watts which mean nothing in terms of amp power output and quality.

Cheers,
Nodg.

Edited by - nodg on 15 Nov 2008 02:07:09 AM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  08:03:58 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

The Type R and Type S subs are very good but can get expensive. If you want something a little cheaper I used to have a fusion encounter 12 inch sub that used to be awesome with only a smaller alpine V12 amp running it. That was until I dropped a spanner on the cone and destroyed it. It went strong for well over 5 years.
The alpine V12 series amps are an awesome little amp in my experience.
Mounting the sub/s the best way is to face them to the tail lights. Better sound.
I myself would look into the pioneer or alpine head units.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

i forgot about fusion/eclipse, i had one of their first headdecks when they first came out a while ago, got it for a dsounted price (ex display) and it was ahead of its time with 4 rca outlets, 300w output and a face that danced around and flashed everywher.

My mate that bought it off me said it still works but has some wear on it, but then again its probably the way he treats his things...

Cheers,
Nodg.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  1:26:25 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

pioneer is good value and reliable , sony is totally over rated !!!
ive mounted my subies in a small ported enclosure near the drivers side
taillight pointed toward the spare wheel , this gives maximum boot space if a gas tank
is fitted ? The quality of sound ( depending on product ) is not any worse from
other installed positions ive used ....

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  4:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

if your sub(s) and amp put out enough power doesnt matter where in the boot there facing.... but usually for maximum bass vibration for rear passegers have it mounted right behinf the middle fold down seat. mine was attached to a solid piece of wood mounted to the back part of the seat (where your back rests)

Cheers,
Nodg.

Removed as requested
Removed as requested

0 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  11:57:29 PM  Show Profile Send Removed as requested a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by nodg

if your sub(s) and amp put out enough power doesnt matter where in the boot there facing.... but usually for maximum bass vibration for rear passegers have it mounted right behinf the middle fold down seat. mine was attached to a solid piece of wood mounted to the back part of the seat (where your back rests)

Like this?

This was where my ex had his.
This Sub sounded really good, but the wiring was dodgy (more than like exes wiring..lol) and it never worked properly.
Does any one know what sub this is? Other than the brand? (Pioneer)

I have been looking on the net at a LOT of subs and will check out the shops this week.

Another Q about the head unit(not on a VN): I have now got a VX stock CD Player.
Its about twice the size of a usual head unit so what would I fill the gap with?
also, Theres the Volume and Song change buttons on the steering wheel, will they work with a new head unit?

Edited by - Removed as requested on 15 Nov 2008 11:58:49 PM

nodg
National Driver

1667 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  01:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see nodg's MSN Messenger address Send nodg a Private Message

yep thats how i had mine, not entirely sure about the remote buttons on the steering wheel but would imagine it could be hooked up with a bit of patience.

I wouldnt bother with the eurovox cd players go for something with a bit higher output.

Cheers,
Nodg.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  08:47:16 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

The Vx stocker is a double din headunit. Now you can buy some nice double din players that will slot straight in but they are usually a little more expensive. If you go a single din (smaller) player which you will find most aftermarket one are you can get a little pocket that goes under the player to take up that space and give you somewhere else to put things. Unless your new unit has provisions for the steering wheel controls I dont think it is possible to use them with an aftermarket unit.

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  10:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

my other half has a vx and i brought him a new kenwood deck for his birthday, the stock stereo was easy as all hell to remove, we wacked the new one in at the top of the gap left my the standard deck and then i put in the bottom like storage thingy out of my car (it wasnt a standard vn one) and there are no gaps the unit itself doenst move what so ever considering the unit isnt bolted to anything its just sitting there!!!

I'd gladly push my holden than drive a bloody ford!

Removed as requested
Removed as requested

0 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  1:05:57 PM  Show Profile Send Removed as requested a Private Message

I went to Autopro and Repco today (my towns only 2 car shops)
Autopro said they could do a package of Axis stuff for about $700

Repco said they had a Sale coming out on the 24th.
They gave me a catalogue and I saw a few things I liked. I thought I might ask what you all think of them to help me...

CD-
Pioneer 200W Direct iPod control/ USB/WMA/AAC/MP3/Tuner
(DEHP4050UB) $279

They have Fusion subs in the box for $99
OR
they have a
360W Active 12" subwoofer-
includes inbuilt amp and wiring kit. Can easily be removed from car if extra space is required. $249

Is any of that good or should I keep looking?
Also- does anyone know rough prices for getting it all installed from an auto electrician?

AND one last thing- what does WMA and AAC stand for (from the cd player)

Thanks a lot for all your help so far I REALLY, REALLY appreciate it!

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  6:25:03 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

WMA - Windows Media Audio AAC - Advanced Audio Coding

Head unit looks good for a basic unit have a look around at prices though. $243 plus postage here -
http://www.ryda.com.au/Pioneer-DEH-P4050UB-Car-CD-MP3-Tuner-p/dehp4050ub.htm

It really depends what you want. The pioneer and fusion you have mentioned are a good starting point. Not over the top and well priced. You could spend many thousands on your system and still not be happy with it.
The active sub is good as you say to remove anytime that you want for a little extra room and comes with amp and all, but then you could do that with the boxed subs as well if you mount the amp to the box.

What sort of budget are you on?? That will be the best way to look at it.

Removed as requested
Removed as requested

0 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  12:57:57 AM  Show Profile Send Removed as requested a Private Message

I have about $700 I can spend can go a bit over but would prefer not too.I don't want to go all out on the sub, butI want to get a good looking head unit.
Like you said you can spend $$$$ and not be happy with it, just trying to find a good medium...lol

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  6:48:43 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

If you are happy with the head unit you mentioned above go with that one. Now are you after speakers as well or just sub and headunit??

Benche
Fully Licenced

simp019

240 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  6:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Benche's Homepage Send Benche a Private Message

face the sub towards the tail lights so you hear a cleaner sound witch is much better then just trying to make your passenger sick.

VN V6 MANUAL - 14.1sec 1/4MILE, 150rwkw, 350nm

Removed as requested
Removed as requested

0 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  8:57:08 PM  Show Profile Send Removed as requested a Private Message

How much should I be looking at roughly for the cd and sub to be installed?
I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, I am going to ask around tomorrow.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  9:18:20 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Sorry cant help you there. I do all my own work. I dont trust anyone else.

leebo
Fully Licenced

simp048

495 Posts

Male

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  10:08:03 PM  Show Profile Send leebo a Private Message

Stay away from Sony xplod and fusion and USS audio and that cheap stuff they crack and distort and you turn them up loud and they split.

get subs that have a rubber surround not paper one's ones with the cone stitched to the surround not glued because that's where they split when you crank it.

Go clarion, Pioneer, maybe kenwood high quality stuff like that spend that bit extra and it will save you.

Also i was just thinking about what Benche said i have mine facing the rear and they thump good, bass is good does facing them towards the cabin just trow your passengers heart beat out of what and not sound good, though i thought the bass would be clearer if facing inwards for like rock music?outwards for RnB or something.

I'll show you the Rick James cell. It's superfreaky!.

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  4:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

hey sharoo i found out about the buttons in ur steering wheel you can get an after market adapter that lets you use the buttons i got a qoute from holden and they said for a real good quality one your looking at about 200 bucks, not too bad!

I'd gladly push my holden than drive a bloody ford!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.31 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 29 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services