Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Car Audio
 Front door???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  4:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

Hey ive seen a couple of comments on here about vr/vs dorr trims and stuff to fit speakers in the front doors, also heard spacers work fine as well.

So question is, how deep do the spacers need to be? and what size speakers fit best?

Also im in nz, doesa the cuttin into the parcel tray laws apply here?

Just be thankful you got two legs to stand on and hands to grab sh*t with!
Report to Moderator

Joogie
Fully Licenced

simp006

291 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  4:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joogie's Homepage Send Joogie a Private Message

Theres something simple to stand buy... dont cut metal out of your car!!! If thats wat u mean by parcel tray. Cutting the parcel shelf to fit speakers isnt a problem, and if it looks to dodge then make another one. But you should be fine, iv got 6*9 speakers fitted, and never had a problem.

As far as fitting front speakers.. speaker pods from a VR/VS work very well, and i guess the depth all depends on your speakers. If the spacers arnt deep enough you can cut a hole in the door trim, if you take it off you will see a space where a magnet will fit easily. Spacers work exactly the same, but you must make sure they are secured to your door VERY well or any bass will rip them off or loosen them. Best size speaker for door?? generally a 6-6.5" speaker is wat most people use. Iv got them in mine with spacers, and works a treat if you buy some decnt ones. But as always you can fit wat ever you want, depends on money and time and wat audio set up you want.

Boost me, and double clutch me so i can get my. Loss of Traction!
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  5:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

im not to fussy about the setup cos i dont spend alot of time driving but im sick of the rubbish standard speakers lol

what u mean by vr/vs speaker pods? are they seperate to the actual door trim thing? money is more a factor than anything. i dont mind puttin the time in. so how are your 6x9s fitted? did u just make the original hole bigger or sit the speakers on top with spacers

Joogie
Fully Licenced

simp006

291 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  5:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joogie's Homepage Send Joogie a Private Message

The speaker pods are seperate. Screwed into the trim. whether you get pods or spacers, $20 is usually all they will cost so that should be no prob. Just make sure you buy the right size speakers to fit whatever you are putting them in.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VR-VS-DOOR-SPEAKER-PODS-UPGRADE-VN-VP-VQ-COMMODORE_W0QQitemZ250274097931QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I made the orig hole bigger. the speakers fit in just fine. I didnt want spacers coz i hate seeing things in my rear view mirror, so was the only option for me. If you dont care i guess spacers would be easier coz u dont have to worry what is underneath.

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  8:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

thanks for that, il get shopping on payday

one more thing. il probaly replace the wires running to the back and run wire for amp etc which will come sometime soonish hopefully. how hard u reckon it is to keep it tidy...where are the wires running now?

Joogie
Fully Licenced

simp006

291 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  12:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joogie's Homepage Send Joogie a Private Message

Iv got all my wires hidden to my amp, you can see about 5cm of 3 wires between the gap of the door sill and the edge of the seat. Its easy, run all the wires under the cover for the handbrake and gear lever.. if your puttin amp under seat. if in boot te put under covers that run over the door sill. Its pretty much a case of put them anywhere out of the way, as long as nothing moving is near by. As for front speaker wires, u can cohide them by running them along the wires for central or power locking.. easiest way

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  2:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

right so ive got the 6x9s in and they look good. i reran the wires cos i didnt want to use the standard wires

i accidentally broke the join where i connected battery power to the head unit and the live wire hit the case. it killed my dash lights and thats it as far as i can tell. replaced that fuse (#1 in the fusebox) but the head unit still isnt powering up. it has a fuse in it but i dont think i had it plugged in when it shorted...any ideas?

Joogie
Fully Licenced

simp006

291 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  2:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joogie's Homepage Send Joogie a Private Message

Firstly u should disconnect the battery... saves little probs like that. Lesson learned haha

As for head unit, Well check every fuse and make sure no more are blown coz its possible even if they dont affect head unit. Try disconnecting battery, leave off for few mins then reconnect. Worth a try.Mak u broke the wire is joined properly, and that u didnt yank the wire out of the back of the head unit. Oh and i assume u pressed buttons on it, coz when i disconnect my bat i have to press the button that changes between radio and cd to turn it on

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  7:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

yeah did all that and its sorted, not sure hopw but after givin up i went back out and it worked and has been fine since.

cheers for all your help...next up is subs and amp

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.23 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 23 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services