Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
      Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Merlin II engine into a VN.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: Bold Italicized Underline Strikethrough Align Left Centered Align Right Horizontal Rule Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert YouTube

Smilies
Angry [:(!] Approve [^] Big Smile [:D] Black Eye [B)]
Blush [:I] Clown [:o)] Cool [8D] Dead [xx(]
Disapprove [V] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)] Kisses [:X]
Question [?] Sad [:(] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sleepy [|)] Smile [:)] Tongue [:P] Wink [;)]

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
m1kes Posted - 02 Aug 2013 : 7:18:47 PM
With custom mod electrics, total custom exaust 49mm pipes,diff to suit engine specs. Im open to suggestions?Custom built sway bars and other stabillisers from quality steel thats been hardened and treated.Rear diff i'm thinkin nine inch but open to suggestion?Original interior,and trim.Coupled with the Mark II Merlin engine, that can now be run efficeintly on unleaded.Am i shootin to high or even destroyin a Holden which i dare not. thoughts?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dryVN Posted - 01 Sep 2013 : 6:04:21 PM
Hat's off , This is gonna be one mad project
m1kes Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 07:21:17 AM
yes to dryVN big block chev conversion. emission control system to you are right will take some approval.
m1kes Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 07:09:09 AM
thanx mech and dryvn. im still looking into the whole thing its gonna take some experienced thought and will be a massive challenge, but thats half the reason im gonna do it. others hav done this before,i myself hav customed up my share of vehicles, its jus not a challenge anymore. i wanted something different, a head turner of sorts, be it race track or street.im not putting the jet merlin engine in it theres other custom chev/ merlin crate engines around.I like the simpleness of a old school V8. with a carby i can adjust, timing i can time, extractors that are simple and the ole more air more fuel and cooling concepts we grew up with.All and all combined with the classic shape and design of the VN holden made right here in Australia during the 90s. all your advice is appreciated guys. i hope as my project rolls along it willceate more talking points.
dryVN Posted - 27 Aug 2013 : 05:34:18 AM
Was thinking the same Mech with the plane engine at the start, m1kes are you planing a crate Big block chev conversion, cause that will need some expert engineering, like Mechknight mentioned at a Custom shop. Large capacity small blocks an easier option
Mechknight73 Posted - 26 Aug 2013 : 12:00:53 AM
But he is talking about a Merlin. If it even resembles the WWII engine in size, it's a hell of a lot bigger than a Chevy small block. I was just using the small block as a comparison, and even it weighs about 43 kilos more than a 304
dryVN Posted - 25 Aug 2013 : 10:50:21 PM
Be a killer track car, not a huge size difference between Chev small block and the 304, these things are manufactured new, and to road go it might need engineers, and possibly an emissions pass . Plenty of track car's out there with similar combos. Don't stress about wrecking a VN, build the one you like and enjoy
Mechknight73 Posted - 24 Aug 2013 : 11:11:04 PM
There's also another car you should look up, known as The Beast. In the 70s, a wealthy sheikh asked a British engineer to custom build a car powered by a Rolls Royce Merlin V12. This thing had a very long bonnet, but one of the biggest reasons why it came to the public's attention is because he put a Rolls Royce grille on it. The people at Rolls weren't too happy about it and took him to court over it. You will have three main issues; fitting, as in space, structural rigidity and weight. I don't know exactly how much they weigh, but substantially more than a Chevy small block.
m1kes Posted - 23 Aug 2013 : 4:28:38 PM
Cheers Mechknight ill google him.yeah the particular one is a V8 You can buy em outa the states Chevy builds em.
Mechknight73 Posted - 18 Aug 2013 : 12:18:45 AM
If you can get in tough with him, ask Rod Hadfield. He built a '55 Chevy around a Rolls-Royce Merlin. The car was called Final Objective, and it was a work of art I know Rod sold the car to an American, and to hear a P-51 Mustang engine in a 50s Chev takes a little getting used to, but it's an animal of a machine. All I do know is that Rod's in Victoria, and his specialty is automotive engineering
m1kes Posted - 09 Aug 2013 : 4:55:58 PM
Yep im hopin it will fit. the guys at my holden dealership say yes. there might be some minor ajustments to the engine bay but hope to get engineer certified which as it happens my boss is one woohoo. if cant get street legal i will hav me first drag racing car.lol.i jus wanna beat a friend of a friends car which is this super hybrid V8 thing mum and dad bought him.his number plate FERRIS. fastest streeter in Mackay. of course i encourge keep speed off the streets and attend Palmyra Dragways street and strip meets every three weeks. =)
VNSVLE Posted - 04 Aug 2013 : 4:34:52 PM
That would be one hell of a car would love to see it happen. Biggest issue would be trying to squeeze it into the car i think.

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.12 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 22 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services