Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
      Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 General Chatter Area
 death rattle or oil pump

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: Bold Italicized Underline Strikethrough Align Left Centered Align Right Horizontal Rule Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert YouTube

Smilies
Angry [:(!] Approve [^] Big Smile [:D] Black Eye [B)]
Blush [:I] Clown [:o)] Cool [8D] Dead [xx(]
Disapprove [V] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)] Kisses [:X]
Question [?] Sad [:(] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sleepy [|)] Smile [:)] Tongue [:P] Wink [;)]

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thedunga Posted - 24 Dec 2011 : 10:58:56 PM
Hey guys the missuses car has developed a rattle in the front end of the motor pulled off the timing case tensioner, chain and sprockets are fine, opened the oil pump checked it for excessive wear but wear was minimal pulled out balance shaft checked bearing but checks out ok am going to put chain,cogs and tensioner off spare motor as well as timing case and oil pump. any ideas what else may be making the noise or is it a drive it till it goes bang then see what the problem is????
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mechknight73 Posted - 19 Dec 2012 : 9:52:46 PM
A little late for this one, but while the harmonic balancer was off, how did the crank angle sensor look? Sometimes the first clue they're on the way out, is a slightly rough idle. Not always but sometimes. If it refuses to start one day, listen for the fuel pump. If that's ok, then pour cold water behind the harmonic balancer. If it starts after doing this, it's pointing in that direction. Have had a CAS die (apparently the original unit) and a DFI (ignition module) die not long after. Whe they get old, they create more resistance, which generates more heat, which in turn creates even more resistance, until one day it will stall without warning
bradsack85 Posted - 19 Dec 2012 : 8:50:37 PM
having similar problem with mine changed lifters but still ticking its synchronizing with the idle of the motor but its less noticeable when accelerating :S
thedunga Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 8:42:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys turns out it was the balancer and the oil pump all fixed and drives fine idle is a bit rough but i think it may be the balancer which i have a new one coming from repco or the balance shaft may not be aligned properly but at least now the car is making full power for the first time since we owned it, it almost keeps up with the dunga.
vn_t5_6 Posted - 01 Jan 2012 : 02:31:46 AM
is it always there or does the sound go away when driving along?if it does i would check the flex plate and the mounting bolts to the crank,possibly the flex plate has a crack in it
VNSVLE Posted - 29 Dec 2011 : 01:28:11 AM
Lifters maybe a possibility also.
Is the noise definately from the front end??
Have a look at the balancer rubber for any cracks.
Also if the balancer is that far gone you should be able to get movement out of it by hand.
thedunga Posted - 26 Dec 2011 : 8:19:57 PM
had a mate tell me that it may be the inner rubber on the balancer, will put all the bits on off donor motor and let you know.
Cartrite Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 10:21:55 AM
The Harmonic Balancer gets a death rattle shortly before it falls apart,otherwise,if oil pressure is good(test via gauge) its probaly a piston.

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.08 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 21290 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services